T-100 block heater alternative

I have had a block heater in my 95 T-100 for several years. This is the type of block heater that fits in where a freeze plug used to be. The heater is leaking around the gasket and will not tighten probably due to it's age. The heater is no longer available from the dealership and my only option is to put in a new freeze plug. Does anyone have any ideas on how easy this would be or how much it would cost at the dealership? Also are there other alternatives for a different type of block heater???? The truck has 120,000 miles,is in perfect condition and should last anther 10 years.

Reply to
jst

Check out the below link for a solution to your problem

TheSnoMan

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't list one for my engine / 5VZ-FE 6cyl.

Reply to
jst

You could use a external tank heater as I have on one vehicle for over

15 years. (about 800watts or so would do nicely) Also in reviewing the list I find that Toyota uses basically to heater sizes. One fore a 35mm plug and one for a 40mm freeze plug. If you get the right size (likely a 40mm) it will work and fit right in.
Reply to
TheSnoMan

Do you actually need a new heater or do you just need to replace the gasket? i think I would try that first before I did anything else.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

I have an old one sitting on the shelf, I will measure it tomorrow.

Reply to
jst

jst wrote: snip

snip

Like Sean posted you may be able to replace the gasket and solve the leak. If not, many backhoes, skid loaders, fork trucks and etc. have block heaters. If you can find a dealer of Toyota fork lifts they might be able to supply you with heater. If none in your area, any metric like Kubota, Mitsubishi or others should have one. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Don't quote me on this... Because I do not know if they still sell them... But most toyota's trucks of that vintage had the same size freeze plugs, and as of a year or two ago, they sell them at NorthWest Offroad

Ian

Reply to
EasyE