JS

Sounds like an exhaust valve problem????

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Something like this?

Read the comments at the bottom. Amazing ol' motor. I guess the constant water flow to the oil, and the steam developed, kept the oil from breaking down faster than it did...

What I wanna know is whats that weird noise at the end... Electric cooling fan after losing its blades?

Now after watching that, watch this...

I'll take the 305, thanks.

JS

Reply to
JS

That noise sounds to me like a high pressure gas escaping from a small opening. It already had blown head gaskets so it might be pressurized coolant/vapor escaping.

Never thought I'd say this about a 305, but me too.

Reply to
Nosey

Besides a lean condition, severly retarded timing will also cause manifolds to glow red. Late ignition of the mixture will cause the combustion process to continue well after the exhaust valve opens, exposing the manifold(s) to higher than normal temperature.

Reply to
John Kunkel

It's prolly a peice of a ford mustand the engine ate some time ago. It will pass sooner or later. Next time it backfires and smells like shit, you'll know it passed the ford.

Reply to
MoParMaN

I had a similar problem with my 8.0L Ram. Cat was plugged up and lit the whole exhaustsystem up. Check for: blocked exhaust (retaining heat) hung-up exhaust valve loading raw fuel into the manifold

Reply to
snickerdoodles

Low octane fuel which cause the spark to be retarded a lot at times which makes fuel afterburn in exhaust system some can cause this too because engine efficencny is reduced and even more gas and heat is dumped into exhaust as it trys to make the power needed for load.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Anybody got a translator for this? I tried Babelfish, and it doesn't have a "snoman" language.

Reply to
Max Dodge

You know everytime you do this you do two things, One it show how insecure your really are and two how truely clueless you are on the dynamics of IC engine operational characteristics and principals as well as the thremodynamic princip[les in use. If you were half as smart as you claim to be you would stop posting dribble and read and learn something but then there is not much chance of that. Everytime you try to make me look bad, you make yourself look bad so have at it. You know I acutual studies IC design in college years ago and even wrote a few papers on it too. THe only writing you have done is uninformed BS. I can back up everything with science while your is strictly BS.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Hi all. This is a kinda dumb question,what are the signs of a bad cat converter besides mileage and glowing exhaust? Thanks for all your time. snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Reply to
e lowejr

It rattles like a can full of marbles when you smack it with a rubber mallet. A more scientific test would be to use a backpressure gauge (either remove an O2 sensor, or drill another hold and weld in a bung) - anything over single-digit PSI when the throttle is snapped would indicate a restriction.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Actually, I only do one thing, and then you write a book about it. If figure the more you write, the more people will see you and your "facts" for what they are.

Please post a rebuttal.

Reply to
Max Dodge