Sunday car show

I went to a show in New London, WI today and had a great time. Picture a perfect sunny day with the temp in the mid 70's. The setting was an old city park with mature trees and old stone park buildings. There were about 300 cars there with a good mix of rods and originals and pretty much all the brands were covered. There were two Studes there with my '64 R2 GT being one of them. Now for the interesting part. I was told to park starting a new row making my car the farthest from everything. My Hawk is far from a show car, with bondo coming out of the rust, cracked paint, bad chrome, and several small dents. I got parked next to a perfect '69 Chevelle SS 396 convertible. By the end of the day I was feeling sorry for the owners because of all the attention my Hawk was getting. I had a constant stream of people saying, 'Nice car.' asking about the engine and other Stude information. I had the owner of two very nice Porsches come back twice to talk about Studes. I had people come back with their friends to show them the car. I'm not trying to brag, because believe me there is nothing special about me and precious little special about the car, what I'm trying to say is I think the car appreciating public is hungry for Studes and anyone who doesn't get their car out there is missing a lot of fun. Okay I'm putting the soapbox away now. Happy trails, Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

People are starting to get tired of the usual Big Three muscle cars and Import Tuners that you can count on seeing at an all-make show. I find the spectators are now seeking out 'the odd and unusual' to look at. I attended a huge one on Saturday that takes place every year, and one of the cars there that got the most attention throughout the day was a 1957 Isetta. And a few years ago, one of the members who also belongs to the ATHS won Peoples' Choice with his restored 1952 Autocar rig at a small town car show where he was up against the proverbial Mustangs, A and F-body GM's, Mopars, and the rods & customs. So yes, indeed, it doesn't hurt to upset the status quo showing up with a Studebaker.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Craig's right, infest the status quo with a Studebaker and watch the fun. My scheme is to park my 50 Biz coupe between as many cookie cutter fiberglass 37 Fords as possible, and watch the public swarm the Stude. Extra credit if they almost press their butt against a fiberglass rod while admiring a Studebaker! There are at least 10 of the glass 37's that attend the cruise in's here. They have the same top chop, hood, aluminum widgets and such,but the wheels and body colors are varied.They are pretty cars, but the Stude is different by far and gets noticed.

Freddy

Craig Parslow wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Tim, I'm glad you had a great time. As I said on the phone, I was just too tied up with other things to make it. What was the other Stude? Joel's gold '65?

Studeski Claude Chmielewski Fillmore, Wisconsin

1947 M16 1962 GT Hawk 1963 Lark 1964 Commander Wagonaire 1950 Champi> I went to a show in New London, WI today and had a great time. Picture
Reply to
Studeski

I think your right. People are getting tired of the same old big three. I was at 3 shows so far this year with my Hawk. I won 3rd place in the antique class. Up against the usual 55,56,57 chevys, camaros, and mustangs. In another show I won peoples choice there was only one class.

Reply to
Jeff Sheaffer

Studeski wrote: What was the other Stude? Joel's

It was Charlies gold Avanti. See you Friday. Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

Most people (30 to 40 and younger) have no idea what a Studebaker is. When you do a car show and there are Studebakers actually in the show, there is a strange pecking order as to interest and public draw. A Lemon Lime 55 Speedster or a tri-color Speedster will draw the initial crowd. If a speedster is not at the show, a Hawk will draw a crowd.

Last year at the Stamford Museum they held a car show, it was all peoples choice. You were placed into classes based on years, so I was u against some heavy hitters. We won best 50's. Last month we attended the show again. Best 50's was won by some imported car that looked like a cross between a Nash Metroplitain and a Tucker. From the side it looks like a baby 40's Studebaker convertible, but the wheels were behind the sheet metal. Up front it had three headlights and a small ful width grille. In the rear it had the engine, the dash was fuctional, no styling treatment, just guages on a white background.

Since we had won the year before we were not allowed to park with the other cars, but our Hawk did draw a crowed. Mostly were questions on design and engine. BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

One of my favorite car shows took place last year. It was also people's choice and my Packard Hawk was in with the 57 -58 Ch**ys and F**ds. I was surprised when I won the class trophy but upon receiving it I then gave it to a young boy who was there in the crowd. Did I tick those other guys off. I think I am forever banned! LOL

Reply to
Mike Williams

Reply to
John Poulos