GVWR 3500 MEGA VS QUAD CAB

I would like to know why the GVWR for the Mega cab is only 10500 and the Quad cab (long bed) is 12200. I understood that these were the
same truck different cab. The curb weights are not that different, couple hundred pounds. I just bought a 4horse trailer with living quraters and it has a pin weight of 3100lbs. With 4 adults and misc that puts me well above the gvwr of the mega. My dealer hasn't been able to find this out.

It probably has a softer suspension since it is basically a luxury car attempting to be a truck.

Yup, dc lost a lot of cutomer's with that truck. Doesn't even come with a plow prep pkg.

No, it's not the suspension. They are identical. Hopefully, I will get an answer from chrysler in a day or two. There must be something a little different in the frame. The GCWR is the same for both trucks
Then you probably answered your own question. If they use the same suspension and the same frame type, then unless the bed length has been reduced, the frame has to be longer and longer frames of the same gauge carry less weight.
< snipped-for-privacy@shec.hshs.org> wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:47:06 -0400, TBone wrote:

the mega cab is the same frame as the quad lb from what i understand. the truck comes with a 5.5 ft bed i believe insead of my 8 foot. personally i'll never own a mega cab for that very reason.
Chris
05 CTD

It's 6.5 feet. I just came from the Dodge web site. You can get the Megacab in a 6.5 box or a Extended Cab in either 6.5 or 8.
I really do not understand why they just don't extend the WB the extra 1 or 2 feet. No way would I buy a Megacab to be stuck with a small 6.5 box .
Where I live I have had several people come up to me offering to buy my truck. They say they can only find 6.5 boxes in the area and prefer an 8.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:23:04 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:

the DR quad cab is a crew cab (4 full doors) fyi
the BE quad cab is a extended cab (2 half doors)
why they used the same name for 2 totally diff cab styles i have no idea....that's Chrysler for ya
and yes 8' box is the only way to go...
Chris
05 CTD

On the web site they have them listed at "Quad" and "Mega"

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 01:51:52 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:

yes because they dont make the BE any more that was a 2nd gen truck
Chris
05 CTD

And another thing. I see on the web site they are offering Self Dimming Rear-view mirror on the Quad/Mega Cabs. Now I fail to see why they are doing that. Mine has one, but the factory tint is so dark that the function does not even work. Maybe if I open the rear sliding windows at night then maybe it would.
I really do not see too many extended cabs these days that do not have tint.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:28:37 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@shec.hshs.org wrote:

I would suggest that it is because the frame is longer with a larger cab and with a bigger span of frame required for it with the same sized box on rear the capacity the frame in span would be reduced because it is very doubtful that they bothered to make frame rails heavier and stronger and only made them longer. Also someone was commenting on that lack of a plow prep package but this could be due to frame flex and loads and front axle weight limitation. I have plowed snow for over 20 years and it adds a lot of weight to front end of a truck and you do not want to start out heavy up there before you even add a plow if you what it to last and handle fairly well too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

But the frame is NOT larger... that's specifically why the Mega Cab is only offered with a 6ft. bed - because it's built on the same 160" WB frame that the quad cab, 8' bed truck is built on.

No he's not wrong, he's been plow'n snow for 20 some yaars...
It's likely hitch placement in the bed. You likely can't place it as far forward in the bed without hitting the corners of the cab with the trailer. On a long bed you can place the hitch forward of the rear axle and the front wheels will take some of the weight thus giving it a higher capacity.
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:31:41 +0000, Tom Lawrence wrote:

don't confuse him with actual facts, you know that just messes the whole works up! <GBMFG>
Chris
05 CTD
Unless I am mistaken....DC recommends that a plow is never to be installed on any Cummins powered model. I don't think this is a MegaCab only issue at all. I myself have been looking ral hard at getting one as soon as I sell my house...especially since i just sold my '01 2500 QC.
Laszlo Almasi

You would be mistaken.
Cummins powered 4X4's standard cab and quad cab were and have been available with the HD snow plow prep group for quite a few years
snipped-for-privacy@shec.hshs.org wrote:

That pin weight sounds high. Is 3,100 lbs the actual pin weight or is that the maximum for that trailer? Have you put it on a scale yet? I'm curious as to what the loaded truck and trailer axle weights are as well as the axle weights for the truck unloaded. What are the front/rear GAWRs for this truck anyway?
--
Ken

The 3100 is from a scale, not under the best conditions but close. That was with my 2500 mega which I am looking to trade in on a one ton. I did check the individual axel weights Here are the specs for the 3500 mega: With 3.73 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13050 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR)[i]500 Payload[i]&75 Curb Weight[i]x25 Curb WeightFront/RearE01/3324 GAWR[i]Front/RearG50/9350 Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR)[i]!000 My trailer with horses is just under 15000, so my pin weight should be about 3000, so I am over the gvwr without putting any people in it.

Is that with automatic or 6 speed? What about 4.11 rear end?