Mega Cab Long Bed?

I look around the web every so often wondering if there will be a long bed Mega Cab--anyone have any news to share, or have you seen anything? I'd love a cummins-powered long bed mega cab.

Thank you.

Reply to
Henry Ammons

Maybe down the road a few years...but not as of yet.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

cant hardly get them to give you a bed big enough to work out of anymore. getting my long bed was like pulling teeth.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

would it be hinged in he middle for turns?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

20"
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

now really how much longer is the cab of the mega cab? over the previous DR crew cabs?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson
20" of extra cab? sheesh! and mine barely fits a 25 foot garage.
Reply to
Christopher Thompson

The wheelbase is the same as the crew cab. It'll fit.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

yea but that puts you back with that tiny box in the back doesnt it? *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Yup!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Sheesh! Some people want everything... (me included)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Stupid question time. Is the new Mega Cab available for the LB DRW and still allow enough room for a 5th wheel? I'm assuming you either can't or wouldn't want to do a 5th wheel with a SB (with or without the mega cab)

I was a bit surprised to see >> yea but that puts you back with that tiny box in the back doesnt it? >> *grin*

Reply to
RamMan

What do you mean by that? I've put close to 25k miles on my 5th with my '03

2500 HO. I've been coast to coast and up to Coldfoot, AK and back and many shorter trips with no issues where a 3500 duelly would have made a difference. I suppose I would have hit more frost heaves and potholes with the larger footprint of the duelly though.

I think you see it "all the time" cause for lots of folks, it works well.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

ive had no complaints out of my 2500. as far as a short bed you can pull a

5th with it. just use a slider type hitch. these hitches slide back for tight bends (in and out of camping spots ect) then slide forward for highway travel (puts kingpin in correct location). ive got friends that use short bed trucks pulling bigger trailers than i have and they have no complaints. there are several diff designes for the slider type hitch. all in how much you want to spend.

bonus for me on the 2500 srw was it doesnt take as wide of a garadge door to fit through (made finding a house with a garage to fit both trucks into easier)

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

No. That would require a new frame, which DC didn't want to do. The MC is built on the same 160" wheelbase frame as the QC LB, so to gain the 20" of additional cab space, they took it from the bed.

It depends on the particular 5ver, but clearance does become an issue with tight turns. There are special 5th wheel hitches available that slide the

5th wheel back when backing the truck, to give you greater turning capability, but they tend to be expensive.

A lot of people don't like the extra width of the dually. Personally, having pulled with both, I never want to tow with a SRW truck again. Heck, all the damn weight&balance gyrations you have to go through pulling a big

5ver with a 2500 is enough to give me a headache. 8800lb. GVWR, and a curb weight of somewhere around 8799lbs. fully-loaded - not much capacity left for pin weight :)
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Assuming you have the tow mirrors, you need at least a 9' door to clear them, unless you want to fold them in everytime. If the mirrors clear, the rear fenders clear. I've marked up my door jambs with my mirrors on occasion, but never with the fenders (those I reserve for tangling with concrete light poles :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

ive got a double door (would have to measure it) and with the tow mirrors out and my wife's truck in the garage its a wiggle to get the right mirror past the door without taking it off. the drw wouldnt make it without having to shove the durango into the kitchen (a remodel that she would not like)

*grin* needless to say its tight all the way around my truck
Reply to
Christopher Thompson

And burned more fuel and cost more to maintain.... rotating tires must be fun, too.. *g*

IMHO, the only time I'd prefer a dually for RV'ing would be for a big cab-over camper, where you have a leaning or stability issue... I can't imagine where you'd need it for the little bit of pin weight a 5'er has.. Mac

mac davis

A Dodge DRW 3500 is IMHO the best towing vehicle for the money and has been for some time. A 2500 SB SRW may get a heavy job done but the only problem you will suffer from in a DRW Dodge may be overconfidence as you will sometimes forget you are hauling anything at all. Haul with a DRW Dodge a few times then try it with a single and you will be amazed how much extra driving work you are doing; it really is easier with the wider stance and stability. Sure they burn more fuel and cost a little more to maintain but if you tow heavy and often you will get your moneys worth.

Reply to
td

Sure they burn more fuel and cost

If the job I have now goes away than I am concidering delivering campers. I see a lot different configurations out there. Probably 95% of them are LB DRW. I think the LB is a requirement for most companies. Looks like the Cummings is the mose reliable with Duramax coming in second. This determination is made from seeing what is on the road. Anyhow if I change trades looks like I'll get a QC, LB, DRW Dodge.

Of course I'd that that in this group . Dave

Reply to
dave