hard on fuel

The trip computer matched the hand calculation within half a gal/mile consistantly. I check it at every fill-up. I thought it might be bad fuel around here at first, but when I travel to Denver for Reserve Duty, I get the same milage from different gas stations.

It stays around 13 on average. Sometimes down to 12, sometimes up to

  1. All highway driving. I wouldn't think the fuel filter would be clogged by 40k miles, but DC supprises me sometimes. Regular maintenance. Found an AFE High flow air filter when I thought to check that. Swapped it for a new paper one. No effect in milage.

I don't feel any loss in power, and the truck still doesn't break speed or downshift when taking Colorado mountain passes.

Fuel filter is the next thing I would think to check. I'm at 53k miles on the engine now. I'll need to break out the service book and see if there is a maintenance I missed somewhere.

Reply to
Twix

Gotta tell ya, 40K is a long time for a fuel filter change on a Cummins imo.

but DC supprises me sometimes. Regular

You might want to tighten all the hose clamps on you intake system. Did you buy this truck new?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thanks, Roy.

It had 30K when I bought it back in December. Looked at the Maint Schedule this morning. Calls for a change at 48k; Passed that milage up last month. Up to 53k now.

If 48k is too long, how often would you recommend changing that bad-boy out?

Jay (aka Twix)

Reply to
Twix

Has this mileage drop just happened, was it gradual, or has it been going on since you bought the truck? If the latter get hold of the previous owner and talk to him, ask what was done to the truck re modifications

I change mine at 15K at the most. To some that may be short but between shit fuel and lift pump issues I don't want to find myself on the side of the road in the middle of a snow storm.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I pick up a filter last night. I'm going to try and get it installed tonight (if I ever get out of work while there's daylight).

Reply to
Twix

Roy I put in the new fuel filter and Milage rose to 15MPG for the first 3 tanks. Two tanks later and I'm down to 11MPG. Anything else you can think of to check before I take it to Chet the mini-moron Dodge tech? I think it may be running a little rich. There is a heavy diesel odor in the air when idling. Much more so than my father's or my friends.

Reply to
Twix

You changed the fuel filter and jumped up to 15mpg. I'd change the filter again and see what ya get. You may have a bunch of crap in the tank. What did the filter look like? Regards the smell of diesel, have you changed the air filter? Tighten all the clamps at inter cooler and turbo.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Filter was blacker than me climbing out of a ship's bilge (looking racially incorrect:-P). I'll pull it again and take a look tomorrow. Air filter has 5k on it, didn't look too bad. I've never played with the intercooler and turbo. Any tricks or pitfalls I need to be aware of or watch out for?

Reply to
Twix

Nah, just check to see that all the hoses and clamps are tight.You may want to think about dropping the tank and having it cleaned if the filter is a mess again.

Reply to
Roy

I never got around to pulling the filter again... working too many hours. I checked the turbo and intercooler connections while waitin on a buddy at work. They're tight. I did notice some red flaking around the top of the engine block. Radiator fluid. It looks as if there is a seal leaking. I'm guessing that if it's leaking out of the block, it could be leaking in causing the problem.

Your thoughts?

Reply to
Twix