Hemi and Carb or FI??

Hi people,

I have a 1995 1500 with the 360 and auto. It has around 120K on it and I want to freshen up the performance a little so I am thinking of a dropping in a crate Hemi from jegs.

I'll add headers and it already has a good free flow catback on it with edelbrock muffler.

I am thinking of doing away with the FI and dropping a street-demon carb on it. Not for any particular reason other than I am an old-school guy and I like to see a carb, not to mention less stuff to f-up.

I had thought of some RPM Performer heads, cam, roller rockers and other stuff but it fast approached the cost of the crate. Any idea on whether the Hemi will drop in comfortably?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Elephant Hemi or 5.7 Hemi?

Reply to
John Kunkel

Hi John,

It doesn't say but I am guessing Elephant as 5.7L sure aint 426 cubes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

The 426 is affectionately known as the "elephant motor" partly due to its large size.

When it comes to engine swaps I go by the philosopy that "anything will fit in anything" but the ease of the swap depends a lot on one's fabrication skills. You're in luck if you intend to keep the present automatic trans because it's fairly easy to wire its controls without a computer. There are several types of adapters to mate the Hemi to your automatic.

After fabricating front engine mounts the other problems would be plumbing the fuel and exhaust (I don't think the Hemi would be happybeing funneled through your single cat exhaust). Another hurdle is trying to deal with the computer; it will sense the missing fuel/ignition components and react accordingly.

It can be done but "easy"? I wouldn't think so.

Reply to
John Kunkel

By the time you get done with that swap your into it for probably 16+K. You might be served doing a small block with a turbo or a blower. The results will be close and you'll save a few grand imo.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thanks guys,

I was hoping engine mounts would be the same based on the assumption that this was a new crate engine, I had hoped that Mopar may have made it a drop in replacement for the 360. Obviously naively so. Same sort of thinking for the headers, I don't like the idea of fabricating top fit. I was hoping someone had already done it and might be able to point me at off-the-shelf solutions.

I had considered the centrifugal supercharger and may still go with it. I can get a 320hp base from jegs for around 4K.

That will be a drop in with headers available too. I can then add a Paxton or similar to that.

They say "use of air conditioning is not recommended." Any idea why not?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

I have one question. Why are you looking at so much motor? Are you planning on showing this truck or taking it to the drag strip? Are you moving your double wide? Ok, that's 3 questions not one.

Reply to
smoove

Don't be too sure. Depending on what blower and how much boost may require a different cam, piston's and con rod's, and valve train.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

transmission won't bolt up if it's a 'real' hemi (426)

yeah, that'll make it breathe well............

you'll f*ck it up worse by causing codes out the arse; what's to screw up with an FI set-up ?

and do you have emissions testing ? if so, you're REALLY screwed

nope

it won't

this is one of those 'sounds good on a bar-stool. but the reality is a bitch' type of projects

Reply to
TranSurgeon

OK, thanks for that.

It is all coming out and going back to basic shit. Carb, vacuum advance distributor (Kettering?? ), etc etc. Didn't you see the "hot rod it" comment?? Probably don't know what "Kettering" is anyway. This newsgroup has appeared to have changed little in the past 6 months since I last visited. Experts and authorities on everything still in full fledge, I see.

Well, DUH? No we do not. One of the joys of living in a small country region in a State that has some consideration for the part-time pursuits of the adults living therein. Unlike CA, MN etc etc

Thanks for that.

Now I am not sure whether you were really trying to help or just chest thump. I'll assume the former and thank you for the useful parts of your info.

To answer the other guy, no, I am not moving my double wide, don't have one as it happens and not sure I am happy with that redneck assumption. The '95 has been put to pasture and I decided rather than sell it for a few hundred bucks, I'd lower it, toss some grunt into it, repaint it. I don't intend to show it, but I do liek to drive it. I also have a 1954 Ford 2-door I was about to rebuild to a street rod and decided I liked the truck more so will give it first priority. The Ford can rust a little more in the interim.

I think you guys need to get out more.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that