Hemi economy

Been looking at a Dodge Hemi 2500 Quad 4x2 short bed. Can't seem to get anyone to give us an idea of the estimated miles per gallon. Trying to decide if I should go the Hemi or diesel. Will be using it to pull a 5th wheel that will weigh about 8,500 lbs and general use. Thanking in advance..................

Reply to
D. Wilkinson

To me gas mileage for a utility vehicle is last on the list of priorities. Its a minor expense in the overall cost of ownership.

The 5.7L Hemi is not strong enough for your 8500lb trailer. Tow capacity is about 9150lbs. You'll quickly be over the trucks GVWR and be under powered. I have a Hemi Durango and pull about 5,000lbs. It does very well but I wouldn't want to go much heavier up steep grades. For a 8500lb trailer get the diesel.

For reference my Hemi Durango gets about 15mpg city, 18mpg highway,

10mph towing.
Reply to
miles

Hemi economy, that's funny. Kind of like jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, and accordion music. The two words just really shouldn't be used in the same sentence. ;)

If you're going to pull a lot, get the diesel. In general use, the diesel and the hemi will cost about the same to run. But when you start towing, the gas engine will suck fuel like there's a hole in the tank. The diesel also has a lot more torque. You'll really appreciate that when you're pulling a long slow hill. One last thing, the diesel is turbocharged. It makes about the same power at 12,000 feet as it does at sea level. Can't say the same for the gas engine.

Reply to
.boB

And since nobody else has posted yet for comparison, my '98 CTD 3500 Auto 4x2 long bed QC gets 18 city, 21 highway and 14 towing a 12,000 lb fiver.

Reply to
Greg Surratt

I just traded my 2003 2500 Hemi for a 2005 Turbo D. for this reason. There's no comparison. The hemi is fun as hell to drive around(12-14MPG) Towing (6-8) I would never have taken it to the mountains or even rolling hills though. My deisel yanks my 12600 pound 5th wheeler around like a step child.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Diesel Diesel Diesel.

Now, with that out of my system, talk to a dealership and find one that will let you test drive one over the weekend to see what kind of mileage you get. Sure, you can't try it with your 5th wheel on it, but it'll give you some kind of idea. Also try one, in similar circumstances, with the Diesel.

After going from a 98 1500 360 extended, short box, 4x2 to a '02 2500 Cummins regular output (not the HO) 4x4 extended, long box and getting better mileage than the 98 I'm sold on Diesel. I don't pull much or often but when I do it's infinitely better than the old gas one.

If you get the Diesel I'd recommend gauging it out (meaning installing a fuel pressure gauge (to see what pressure your injector pump is being fed; if the lift pump goes bad it can eat your injector pump (based on my experience with my '02)), boost gauge, exhast gas temp (pyrometer) gauge, transmission temp, oil temp, and differential temp gauge) so you know what it's doing.

I hear a lot of suggestions of running anything to help lubricate our "Americanized" "dry" fuel (low sulfur fuel; i.e. low lubricity); so use some Marvel Mystery Oil or some of the (I'll get this wrong) Power Service or whatever Diesel Kleen/anti-gel, whatever additive, to keep the fuel system in top shape. The stuff is dirt cheap, and the extra power and mileage you'll get out of that Diesel engine should more than make up for the little extra effort you'll put into it.

That's what I think.

HTH

--HC

Reply to
HC

As has been noted the subject of this thread is an oxymoron.

Anyway, I have a 2004 2500 4x4 reg cab hemi with 5sp standard. In 15K miles the best ever tank was 14.5 mpg highway with no trailer or load.

Overall average is about 13.5. Towing a 6000 lb trailer I get about 10 mpg and our friends with a Cummins diesel and a heavier trailer leave us in the dust going up hill while using less fuel.

Woody; 95FXDS

Reply to
Woody

We tow a 7600lb trialer (loaded) with a Hemi in a 1500 with a 3.92 rear end and auto. Average mpg is 10 while towing. worst case has been 7.25, best was 11.5. Average when not towing? 15. Mountians? No problem. Do I try to play crotch-rocket with it? No. When gas prices were about $1.50 I was told to figure about 81,000 miles as pay back time for the extra cost of a diesel. I don't know what it would be now. Just an intersting note. I can leave a diesel in the dust while towing and he is empty. FWIW And I don't have to put up with the God awful smell.

Reply to
US

If 81k miles was the break even point at $1.50 a gallon, then it would be close to 40,500 miles now that we are aproaching $3.00 a gallon again. I know a lot of people that drive 30k-40k miles a year. A friend of mine managed to put 200k miles on his van in a matter of three years. So I can see the benafit.

As for the smell, well, I like the Diesel! However, 110 octane takes the cake!

If only they would put the Hemi in the Dak! that would be a perfect match!! :-D

Reply to
Trey

Dood, I owned a 2003 Hemi and my n 2005 Turbo D will bury the hemi top end. ANd still only be pulling 2300RPMs. Lie to someone else, some of us have seen the light. BTW, a 1500 is a toy truck. You'll tear it to peices pulling that load.

Reply to
MoParMaN