Lifetime Warranty!!

In a webcast announcement today, Tom LaSorda announced that effective today all new '06, '07 and '08 new Chrysler vehicles sold at retail will be covered by a lifetime full powertrain warranty. Diesels and SRT's are excluded. More details as they become available....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

But only the ones sold after 11:00am today have the new warrenty... The guys that had their paperwork sent at 10am got screwed.......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Yabbut, I'm sure if they bitch, DC will extend it for the whole day.....

MIke

Reply to
Mike Simmons

No diesels or SRT's? There just might be a message there.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Woohoo, how long is this going to last? My wife just got hit head on in our Town and Country and I need to replace it. At 35K that will be 'added value'!

The old Town and Country took a 60+ mile per hour full front end hit, wife was going 35 but the kid that hit her was doing 60+, all the damage was limited to the front end. Knocked the engine backwards 30 inches, drove the drivers side front wheel back a bit over 2 ft and trashed the tranny. The doors still open and close as well as they did before the accident! No encroachment on the passenger compartment at all! The wife's only injury was caused by the airbag, which shattered the 5th metacarple in her left hand into 5 pieces. She required surgery to repair and will require 6 to 12 months of therapy after the cast comes off.

I was very impressed with the way the van took the hit and will not go with another maker's vehicle after this, though I do think I'll pull the plug on the airbag, my wife is only 5'4 and wears her seat belt habitually. She would have had no injurys other than the seat belt tan line had she not had an airbag. I also don't know if that hand could survive another hit like that if it ever occured again. With all the cell phone users out there, not to mention the drugs and alchol, the odds are she will have another. This one was cell phone related, kid that hit her had dropped his and was picking it up out of the floor when he crossed the yellow line.

Reply to
KYHighlander

I heard back in the early '90's that Cummins told Dodge they would offer a

300,000 mile / 30 year warranty on the engine if Dodge would match the offer for the rest of the truck. I guess DC doesn't want to take Cummins up on the offer, either.
Reply to
Nosey

Pretty straightforward really.....

covers the "original" purchaser who takes delivery on or after 7/26... not transferable, even to another family member or business

excluded vehicles are diesels, SRT's, cab&chassis vehicles, rental, government, postal, police, ambulance, taxi, limo, and tight-assed beekeeps residing in the State of Maryland.

covers engine block and all internal parts, cylinder heads, timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets, vibration damper, oil pump, water pump and housing, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel and starter ring gear, freeze plugs, valve covers, oil pan, turbocharger and internal parts, turbo wastgate actuator, supercharger, serpentine belt tensioner and seals and gaskets for above components. transmission case and all internal parts, torque converter, flex plate, range switch, TCM, bell housing, oil pan and seals and gaskets for above.

FWD transaxle case, axle shaft assemblies, cv joints and boots, diff cover, oil pan, speed sensors, shift solenoid, PRNDL switch, TCM, torque converter and seals and gaskets for above

AWD, PTU and all internal parts, viscous coupler, axle housing and all internal parts, cv joints and boots, output bearing, vacuum motor, torque tube seals and gaskets for above

RWD, axle housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, shaft bearings, drive shaft, center bearing, u-joints and yokes, seals and gaskets for above

4WD, transfer case and internal parts, TCCM and shift motirs, axle shafts, bearings, drive shafts, center bearing, u-joints and yokes, seals and gaskets

In the interest of brevity, I have omitted some of the minor components

All in all, a pretty good deal... BTW, no time limit has been specified for this program

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

You left out the part where you have to take back to the factory for the repairs!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

That's the good part! Dealers :-( Sorry Mike, only one good one around here, 60 miles away from me.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Manufactures increase warranties to increase sales. Most likely they don't need the new warranty as an incentive for diesels and SRT's.

Reply to
miles

More like they don't want to deal with the high rate of return knowing that these vehicles deal with much more abuse than the others and are far more likely to break down.

Reply to
TBone

What are the restrictions on this warranty? IOW, does all of the service and maintenance need to be done at the dealer or can the owners still do most of it themselves?

Reply to
TBone

I tend to think the higher sales of the diesel trucks is why no increased incentive is needed. They sell quite well already. No need for large incentives.

Reply to
miles

If it were only the diesels I would agree with you but when you look at the complete list of ineligible vehicles, it says something very different.

Reply to
TBone

Which vehicles are you specifically referring to that are not included in the warranty program and have lower sales and/or higher repair incidents?

The warranty excludes the SRT, Diesel vehicles, Sprinter and Ram Chassis Cabs and some fleet/utility vehicles.

The Diesel trucks sell very well and have no need for increased incentives. Same with the Sprinter vans. They are selling like crazy. The SRT's are limited availability and rarely have had much in the way of incentives (large rebates etc.)

Reply to
miles

Just about all of them with the possible exception of the diesel PU's.

Which is exactly my point. The SRT, Ram Chassis, and all of the fleet vehicles are usually subject to far more wear and tear than the standard vehicle and some are simply subject to abuse. IIRC, the sprinter comes with a diesel which is why it is not included.

You are kidding, right?!?!?!? I have yet to see a single sprinter on the road around here, why would they not want to sell more of them? As for the diesel trucks, again, why would they not want to sell more of them? The fact is that it's not that they don't want to sell more, they don't want to pay the $$$$$$ to repair a diesel.

They also tend to be abused and also cost $$$$$ to repair. Then they excluded just about every type of fleet vehicle which also points to cost of repair and don't even try and say that they don't want to increase fleet sales as that makes the factory big $$$$$.

Reply to
TBone

Depends on your area. Around here Sprinters are everywhere. Heavily used for cargo couriers and resort shuttles. Dealers can't keep them in stock and have backlogs of orders.

Tell me TBone, why is there no rebate for the SRT8, Sprinter or Cab Chassis Diesel, which are all excluded from this warranty program. No rebates because of high repair costs???

Reply to
miles

Which is again my point. As you said, they are primarly used for commercial purposes and as such, will get much more wear and tear and mileage per year than a typical private use vehicle. The dealers here don't stock them because they don't sell, are kinda ugly, and somewhat expensive.

How exactly does cost of repair apply to what gets a rebate? Oh, that's right, it doesn't so what exactly is your point? I can bet that fleet purchases get a discount and they are not covered either so how exactly does a rebate or discount apply to warranty coverage. Oh, that's right, once again it doesn't so what exactly is your point? Oh, that's right, you don't have one and just like to argue. While you are correct that this new warranty is set up to boost sales, you are incorrect and foolish to think that the vehicles excluded from this warranty are excluded because they are selling enough of them already. That is just too funny. They are excluded because the cost to cover them with this warranty would exceed the increased revenue from the added sales it could create.

Reply to
TBone

The maintenance must be done in accordance with the factory recommendations, but there is no stipulation as to who must do it. If you do it yourself or have it done at a private shop, just keep records.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

If they were having trouble selling then they would offer rebates and/or warranties. They offer neither. Your logic may apply to warranties but NOT rebates. Therefore your logic is flawed as the Sprinter has not had much in the way of rebates. They sell plenty as is.

Exactly TBone. You seem to believe that the lack of warranties on certain vehicles is because those vehicles are higher repairs and Dodge doesn't want to pay the repair costs. Your logic fails because those EXACT same vehicles are also excluded from rebates. Both of which are tools manufactures use to increase sales and are excluded on vehicles that are already selling well.

Your logic fails because those same vehicles also lack rebates where as all the ones with the warranty also have good rebates. If their sales were poor then they would have rebates comparable to other vehicles. They don't. Coincidence that the vehicles with little to no rebates are the ones that are excluded?

Reply to
miles