lubricity additive?

should i be running some type of lubricity additive in my '04.5 or '05 cummins dodge trucks now that diesel is low sulpher? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Diesel fuel is "ultra low sulpher" now. I'd add some kind of lubricant to it if I were burning that nasty stuff.

Reply to
Nosey

My preference is Stanadyne Performance.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

My email to Stanadyne last year resulted in a response from them to keep using their product ( no surprise ), but the refineries would be adding lubricity @ the refinery to make up for it. It would be interesting to hear from someone @ a refinery to confirm this.

Reply to
617211

Something tells me that this is more of a requirement than them just being nice, even if the requirement is just maintaining their sales and customer base.

Reply to
TBone

tom, what say you?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Seems slippery enough to me...

Honestly, I'm not too worried about it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I will continue to use Stanadyne as I have 250k + without major fuel problems!

Reply to
617211

discusses the Lubricity issue somewhat, stating there is a new ASTM Standard now, but it doesn't say if they add any or wether the ULSD already meets that standard.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

so you dont run any type of lubricity additive? the conoco fuel station down the road says it includes lubricity additive in the fuel, but when i travel i wont always have access. if its not necessary i dont want to go through the trouble. if it is something i have to worry about id rather just trade up to a low sulpher diesel.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

LSD isn't/won't be avail for highway use anymore. only ULSD. i havent had any problems out of any of mine, and haven't heard of anyone else having any either.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Nope

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

good enough for me, thanks. any idea why "everybody" i know is running stanadyne? needless worry?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

They have a hell of a marketing department :)

That, and since you went and moved yourself up into Yeti country, colder temps require more attention be paid to your fuel.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

That's what I was thinking. The additive probably has a anti gel property

Reply to
Roy

It is made by a pump company, so hopefully they know what they're doing? plus for pennies a fill-up, I get to avoid costly pump rebuilds. YMMV.

Reply to
617211

"Nathan W. Collier" blabbered in news:qPydnZf7lqUJIsDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

Before I got a Dodge Hemi I had a Chevy diesel for 18 years and 170k miles before I sold it to a friend who now has over 200k on it. I had to put a pump on it at 50k miles and on the advice of my diesel shop - whose business it is to rebuild all makess of pumps - started using Stanadyne. S

Reply to
loverboy