New Cummins Engines Announced

A 325 Hp 750 lb torque Engine for Dodge Pickup?

The rumor may be coming true.

Reply to
Ed Dunn

I have heard that there is a race on for more power in pickup diesels. Rumor has it that the newer (2006) Cummins diesels in Dodge pickups are not as reliable as the older ones.

Charles

Ed Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Charles

Yep - the 6.7L rumor has been around for a while, and this pretty much confirms it. With the torque war stepped up from GM, it's inevitable that Dodge will respond. What they still have left to do is come up with transmission offerings that can handle the increased torque. I don't think the G56 is up to it (haven't looked at the numbers, though - I could be wrong). The 48RE in it's current form is not, but that's relatively easy to fix for a new model year offering, without re-designing the whole transmission (more efficient torque converter, VB tweaks, and some more clutch material - IOW, just what the aftermarket does).

It's interesting that the HP is limited to 325. That's gotta be an emissions thing... if the current 5.9L is 325/610, it's only logical to think the HP would go up with the block being stroked out to 6.7L. Or is the power being robbed by the cooled EGR system, netting a 0HP increase? Don't know...

Okay... GM's got 650ft.lbs. Dodge will have 750ft.lbs. What's Ford doing (besides shopping for an entirely new engine)?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Does that mean Dodge truck owners will soon be singing "She's real fine, my

409"?
Reply to
John Kunkel

I can hear the Beach Boys now in the new 6.7L commercial. And Ford is still looking to buy a cork factory.

FMB

Reply to
FMB