New to me used car prep

Hello,

I am seriously considering buying a 2000 Dodge Durango (75K mi) from a private seller. Assuming the test drive and mechanic's inspection don't turn anything nasty up, here's what I plan do do once I get it...

***I've done research on the net and have found that the biggest complaint about this vehicle is the sludge factory engine
SinceI don't know the oil changing regimine, I have to assume the worst...I was hoping to counter this by trying *(a)* a severe treatment of AutoRx
or *(b)* a classickerosine flush
I amreally leaning towards the Auto Rx, though I am sure someone is boundto call it snake's oil, I figured that it looks legit, and I have yetto read a negative comment, so I figure it can't be so bad. Obviously,I would follow up with regular oil changes, which should keep it clean,and visually check the pan after 25K or so. ***These are the other things I would do myself. ******Coolant Flush ******"Tune Up" (new plugs, wires, and pcv) ******Add some fuel system cleaner for the first few tanks ******Replace belts (though not timing) ******A thorough detailing

***These are the things I would get the shop to do...

******Tranny flush ******Power steering flush ******Replace brakes & fluid flush (mainly for the warranty) ******Possibly timing belt if it looks the part

I am pretty capable, and have done my fair share of work on cars. Has anyone got anything else that they think would be of benefit? I am aware of the dangers of stirring up the sludge in the engine, but I think it's worth the benefit. Same thing on the transmission, I don't think it has enough miles to say "the gunk is holding it together" quite yet. Any opinions, adds, subtracts, warnings are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
calvinlbrown

My $.02:

If there is sludge buildup, it's best left where it is. If one of your miracle chemicals will knock it all loose it'll just plug up the oil pump pickup.

btw, you can get a pretty good idea of the buildup by looking through the oil filler cap.

A friend of mine bought a car with a Chevy V8 that needed an intake manifold gasket. With the intake off, it was clear that the lifter valley was *full* of sludge. We just left it there.

Fast forward 5 years and many oil changes later (every 3k miles), we pulled the intake for something else (can't remember what) and it was clean!

Detergent Oil!

Just change the oil every 3k miles like we're all supposed to do. The fresh oil will gradually and safely clean it all up.

That said, at 75k miles it's probably ready to have all the other fluids changed as well. Check the owners manual service schedule and assume the previous owner has ignored all the scheduled regular maintenence.

-rev

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to
Scott

Don't know if I'd do the tranny flush. Has it ever been flushed before? Besides, when they flush the trannies, they use Dexron/Mercon with "Friction Modifiers" to make it work in a Mopar tranny.

I wouldn't do it unless I knew for a fact they were using ATF+4!!! At 75k, draining it, filling it and installing a new filter should do it well.

Reply to
Hachiroku