New to me Corolla

My parents have decided that my s/o and I need a second car and have bought me (us) a 1996 Corolla DX. 68K miles on odometer.

My questions are these.

Is this a good buy for US$5600 ? Is this a reliable car? Any issues I need to be aware of?

Vehicle has NO rust. Looks to be in VERY good shape.

TIA

Reply to
Andy S

I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

I'm in the UK and your might like to know that although these cars probably cost 50% more new over here, that at that age ours will be worth half what you paid.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The best way to tell if it is a good buy or not is to check out NADA, Edmunds, or Kelley Blue Book web sites and compare apples to apples - mileage, condition, equipment.

The Corolla is generally a very reliable car.

Not really.

Enjoy your new ride!

Reply to
Ray O

This is a good, reliable car.

If you don't want it, give it to me and ask your parents if they will adopt me.

They are very thoughtful and generous.

You should thank them, if you haven't already. Remember this when you become a parent with children your age.

Reply to
ma_twain

I have thanked them. As an aside, the reason for car is this. My wife has had a change in her work hours. We'd have to share one car and we wouldn't get back home until 1:00 AM. If I were to drive home after picking up our 4 year-old from daycare, drive the 30 miles from daycare back home then do the reverse and then back we'd put MAJOR miles on the one car AND we'd all be irritable as all he**.

So the Corolla has entered our lives. I still have to pick up our son from daycare, BUT the benefit is LESS miles on one car.

Hope I can get 35 MPG outta her.-The Corolla

Reply to
Andy S

NOT a good price - Low mileage but that's 2x what that year should for according to Edmunds. Even the dealer pricing which would include full reconditioning and a warrarnt is only $3800! For that $ it should be in excellent condition with new premium tires and all the extras along with a good maintenance history and never a wreck.

Reply to
Wolfgang

See the update I posted to my original.

Reply to
Andy S

Reply to
Henry Lee

Do you actually mean $80,000, $25000 and $40,000 or have you got your terms mixed? Surely you mean $8000, $2500, and $4000?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Sorry , my mistake You are right , I mean I trade my car which is 80000 miles for only $2500. So the value of Corolla DX 97/96 around 5000 to 10000 miles should be no over than $4000

Reply to
Henry Lee

I am not in your country but I am inclined to agree with you. The OP's car must be worth less than $2500 as it is a 1996 Corolla DX. 68K miles on odometer. This is deduced from your figures and going from my experience here. However, your used values and demand for used cars may vary substantially. I don't know.

Huw

Reply to
Huw