Odd fuel mileage phenomenon

2003 Dodge Ram long bed 2500 5.7L Hemi.

Filled up the tank yesterday morning, drove to work and back home, about 11 miles round trip. Later that evening my wife's son took it to his work and back home, same distance.

This morning, I noticed the distance-to-empty displaying an outrageous figure: More than 550 miles, and the fuel mileage at more than 24 MPG! Owned the truck since new and have never managed more than about 10 MPG city and 16 highway. The DTE has never displayed more than about 320 miles.

What's up with this? Computer glitch? Some fantastic new fuel? A miracle?

Anybody ever seen this before?

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Its probably the son's wife knows how to drive the truck so that it gets the best gas mileage.

Reply to
Licker

I don't know. I have a 99 Dakota 5.2L, and it pretty much just goes between filling stations... Congrats to you! ;-)

Reply to
Joe

Mystery solved. The boy hit the US/M button, so everything was reading in liters, not gallons.

He has been instructed not to push any more buttons in my truck.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Funny...

I had a case of ooops not long after getting my dak, with overhead readout where me or a ghost, hit the us/metric button. I was getting pretty pissed that the more I coasted the worse the mileage was reading one afternoon. This was on top of a couple other things that had me pre occupied, it was not a good time to be messing with me, if you know what I mean. LOL. Had there been anyone in earshot, they would have bought the "freaking pos" as I was beyotching to myself, for well, lets say 10% book value, lol.

But this distracted from the other problems that day, me long enough to "figure out" what this new problem was, and I was happy again when the solution was discovered, at least for a moment. Imagine how pissed I could have been, sellin "the pos" for 500 bucks and the person going "oh well, you hit this back to US/Gal, and it is fine"... thank god we don't read minds, huh?

Reply to
PlowBoy

Many years ago, bought (real cheap) an early '70's 6cyl ford p/u from a guy who was all frustrated by terrible mileage and other issues. Right away I noticed a really low temp gage reading and put in a new 190 degree thermostat. Ran like a champ thereafter. I didn't tell the seller about that, though.

bill

Reply to
bill