FUEL MILEAGE

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT Sport with the 4.6 V8. It has about 6,000 miles on it. My fuel mileage with a mix of highway and local traffic is about 16 mpg. I'll be driving about 2,400 miles on vacation this summer, mostly highway, and need to do everything possible to get the best mileage with fuel prices nearing $2/gallon.

Other than the usual AAA stuff, any secrets to maximizing mileage?

Thanks

Reply to
Paul G. Mowrey

Nearing $2/gallon? It's $2.30 here in California. I hate you.

Avoid headwinds, drive eastbound only.

Reply to
terra
32psi in front and 35 psi in rear tires. Keep speed under 70 mph with a/c off. leave heavy items home. wth
Reply to
wth

Use cruise control whenever appropriate.

Reply to
Charlie Bress

About $8/gallon equivalent here in the UK :-( And you guys think you've got it bad?

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Paul, I own an 00 V8 w/144k on it and average approximately 18mpg. I suspect that you may get better miliage as the truck breaks in. However, starting with the AAA recomendations is not a bad place to start. Use synthetic oil in everything, easily doable can be a little more costly. Next course of action is to find an EEC genious. Make sure every sensor is operating in its correct range: see Ford "H" manual or aftermarket equivilant. Buy an after market air filter/exhaust to free up horse power. Change the factory fuel pressure regulator for an aftermarket one. Check factory fuel pressure first. I suspect that it will be @35-40psi, once after market unit is installed, calibrate for 5-7psi less than factory. This will give a longer pulse to achieve the correct a/f ratio. The down side to reducing fuel psi is wot performance. I suspect your accelerator is not mashed to the floor all the time. I suggest that you also try running mid grade for a few tanks and comparing the mpd $$$. Good Luck Chassis Master

Reply to
Chassismaster

Let's see - drive eastbound only...hmm. Hey, that puts me in Dewey Beach, DE for Memorial Day. Excellent!

Reply to
Stephen Read