OT: Cleaning a grill

Ok, I'm gonna do something really sexist (as perhaps the only one in here with two X chromosomes ): Assume because this place is full of guys with trucks, it's also full of guys with grills :)

I'm the griller in the family (must be the same gene that makes me a geek girl who likes trucks).

The grill part of my Baby Q is getting a bit grody. I don't really mind for now - I have my grill brush and grill stone and grill scrapers - but when I get ready to ship it it'll need to be shiny clean. So, I'd like to keep the layers of crud down a bit, to make it easier when the time comes.

What works best to clean a grill back down to something resembling it's original, unused cleanness?

Thanks for any replies!

Hubby's off on a business trip. Weather suddenly decided to get warm (it's still winter here - equivalent of late January- but it topped 80f today). Consoled myself by cooking up these awesome marinated bbq chicken wings from the butcher down the street, with a big 'ol Portobello mushroom. Next on the grill, Barramundi (a really tasty deep-sea fish) and corn-on-the-cob.

If you're a grill lover, emigrate to Australia. You never have to worry about the weather, and they love grilling so much that it's part of the holidays. Turkey for Christmas? Nah! It's summer here, heats the house up too much. Seafood on the barbie is the traditional Xmas fare down here!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I use Easy-off Oven cleaner on mine. Spray it down, leave it soak for 10-15 minutes and hit it with the garden hose. Depending on how thick the black stuff is, it may take 2-3 cycles to get it down to metal. An old wire brush really helps scrubbing between applications.

Life just isn't fair......... The old man leaves and you start cooking out......... geesh...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

best way to keep it from building up in the first place is to use Pam cooking spray on the grill before you light it. Don't try to spray it while the grill is lit though it is dangerous. The crude comes off much easier after you have used the Pam during the grilling. It don't keep it all off but it does keep it down quite a bit.

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander

Figures that wide ride would know about anything having to do with cooking.

I take mine apart and power wash it. If that doesn't move it, it probably isn't going to come off.

I'm a little reluctant to use any cleaner, as you put food on it when your done. If you have a self cleaning oven you might be able to put the grill in it and clean them both at the same time. Also I suppose it has to do with the material the grill is made of.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

What, no kangaroo on the barbie? Or buffalo ostrich wings?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

I agree with Denny and I have used this method on other grills. The Baby Q however has a cast grille made of (?) which may not handle the caustic lye of Easy Off. What I would do is to turn the grill on high and let it heat up for about 10 minutes and then brush it real good with a steel wire brush. After it cools, wrap it in industrial strength Saran Wrap and put it back in the grille and it should ship OK. If the grill is cast iron (which it may be.... check it with a magnet) then the Easy Off won't hurt it. I have used my power washer on mine before with good results.

Have fun in OZ.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, beekeep exclaimed (7/27/2007 9:04 PM):

Got some kanga bangas (roo sausages) for later in the week. No ostriches here, they're Emus :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (7/27/2007 9:09 PM):

Thanks for the tips! No such thing as industrial strength Saran Wrap here (and don't get me started on the extra-wimpy aluminium foil!)

Wish I had a power washer. Then I wouldn't be asking!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

My wife is the grill expert also... After 2 prior marriages where I thought "MEN cook over fire" I met a lady that bbq's a lot better than I can..

I do get to clean the grill, though... I use oven cleaner in the aerosol/foam cans... It seems to get all the gunk off and doesn't seem to take any metal off.. *g*

Before each use, she sprays it with "Pam" or whatever... some kind of non-fat, don't stick to the pan kinda stuff...

(and I was all set to give my 2.5 cents worth on polishing ram front ends)

We're in Mexico and grill year round.... especially in summer, when the last thing you want to do is heat up the house with cooking... Lots of the houses here have outdoor kitchens on the patio and some we've seen ONLY have the outdoor kitchen..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You should be able to find a roll of shrink wrap.. we bought a few extra rolls when we moved because it's such handy stuff...

My wife used to wrap pallets in a warehouse and she's GOOD with this stuff... we wrapped everything from grills and tools to large wall hangings with it and everything came through the move fine....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I know that! Or at least I should. I raise a few emus years ago. The older I get the better my forgetter works! Emu tastes very good!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Suddenly, without warning, mac davis exclaimed (7/28/2007 2:13 AM):

You misunderstand. There's shrinkwrap here. There's just no

*industrial strength* stuff though. Heck, there's nothing even "normal American strength". It's all pretty wimpy stuff. The aluminium foil should be ashamed of itself...

Got a quick image of trying to wrap my tiny little baby-q grill with one of those rolls of pallet-wrap. :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, beekeep exclaimed (7/28/2007 6:42 PM):

Emu's OK. I prefer Roo though. Good Stuff, and I can buy it at the grocery store, even though it's a game meat. Less fat than chicken, so we can eat red meat without the guilt!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

No worries... they just CALL it pallet wrap.. You can get it in sizes from a few inches wide to a foot or so...

Even putting the grill between 2 sheets of cardboard and using shrink wrap or packing tape around the edges works ok...