Jet Performance Chips

Hello group,

I have a 2005 Dakota w/ the 3.7L and automatic. I live in Minnesota and in this cold weather my trucks really sucks the gas down, I get about 10.5-11.5 mpg. I was looking for ways to increase my fuel economy. I was looking at the Jet chips and they said since it optimizes the settings of the engine you could see fuel gains. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have any experience with these chips? Is there any other chips/modules I should be looking at? Also my truck is still under warranty, do any of these chips void the warranty, on Jet's website it says it doesn't but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks alot,

John

Reply to
John

The Dakota is not known for its mileage to begin with and you are probably being forced to use a winter blend fuel that has more alcohol which reduces fuel economy. Notice that they say that you "could" see fuel gains, not that you will as much of that has to do with the fuel blend and driving style and they have no control over either. As for warranty issues, while its existance will not void the trucks warranty, it could give you problems if the dealership attributes the failure to the increased performance and abuse due to this modification. I would suggest that if you get this chip, that you remove it whenever the vehicle has to go back to the dealer for any work while still under warranty.

Reply to
TBone

I gained about 1mpg on mine when I used a Hypertech tuner. So mileage gains are possible. But if you do the math, it takes a lot of driving miles to break even. Mileage drops in winter because of the oxygenated fuel we're forced to use. You get about the same mileage I do. Before making any changes, I would suggest you give the truck a once over and see if there's something wrong.

Reply to
.boB

I was already thinking about that I would remove it if I had to go to the dealership for service. Do you know if there is anyway the the dealership would be able to tell if there was a module installed? Like would the computer set some type of code or anything like that?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

Anything specific to look for? Just had it in for an oil change, dealer didn't say anything was wrong with it. Btw, I have a cold front installed seeing if that would make a difference if the engine had a chance to warm up quicker but mileage didn't change, just when I can get warm air through the vents :)

Thanks, John

Reply to
John