OT -- Looking to upgrade Computer

alright fellas looking for a little input/experiences with this brand motherboard. I'm thinking in the next month or so upgrading my system and giving the current system to my wife for her personal use.

currently running:

MSI ms-6340 main board nvidia graphics mx4000 Geforce AMD Athlon processor 1100

256 meg ram 20 gig IDE hard disk Kubuntu-Linux Operating system

Proposed system:

MachSpeed MSNV-939 Motherboard CPU Bundle AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor 2.20GHz OEM

4 gig ram 500 gig hard disk (either IDE or SATA witch ever i lay hands on) nvidia graphics (card not decided but staying with nvidia because of their linux support) Kubutnu-Linux Operating system

this board appears to have support for 4 gig of SDRAM, PCI, PCI-E

2 ide slots 4 sata slots below is the url to the board.
the reason im looking for installing 4 gig of ram when i build the new system is the fact that i promised myself the next system would have the ram capacity of the board maxed out "out of the box" because with the last system i didnt and later wound up regretting it because the price of PC133 ram is out of sight (i'd like to have more but not willing to pay the price for it)

anyone with experience with this brand or particular board? will i be disappointed in the reliability of this board after having 0 trouble out of my MSI for 4 or 6 years? (i forget when exactly i built this system)

Reply to
Chris Thompson

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

*CAUGH*

who said anything about OSX??

besides i've got a purdy case i wanna use (cant let the wife have all the cool stuff ya know)

Reply to
Chris Thompson

You can run any OS. Including K/Umbuntu.

Superior performance from a superior product.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

did you ever check out (K)ubuntu? how does it run on your MAC if you did?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Yep. It runs on Mac. I ftp'd the installable files, but have not yet run tried them. I have a G5 with PowerPC chips. The new Macs are Intel which are definitely better for running other OS's.

You can run it other OS's natively (separate bootable partitions) or there is a product by VMWare called "Fusion" that allows you to run multiple OS's at the same time on a Mac with kick butt performance.

Check it out:

Look into my eyes ... you will be a Mac bigot ... you will be a Mac bigot.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Though I know right off that the transgender troll will end up jumping all over my posting because he/she/it has nothing better to do, I will reply anyway.

I have always used ABIT, ASUS or GigaByte mainboards with no issues in my own systems or ones I have built for customers.

If you are going to stick with AMD for your CPU, I would go with a slightly "slower" dual core, vice the slightly "faster" single core.

I also use XFX video cards with great results, they are factory O.C.'d and come with a great warranty should you ever need it. It is also SLI capable and PCI-e based.

Stay with the SATA 3.0 drive man.

Reply to
azwiley1

I wish you'd say "Apple" or "Macintosh"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

LOL.

Betcha didn't know you were so well liked did you?

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

thanks for you input larry and yes i plan to stick with the AMD platform i have had extremely good luck/experience with the AMD products so far.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I would definately stay with a dual core than, it just makes more sense.

Reply to
azwiley1

punkin:

Edith's being quiet again. He never bothers you anyway, don't fret about it.

Of course.

False. You were confounded by your AN7's SATA drive problem, thought you needed to reflash the BIOS over and over again. Thought everybody needed to, in fact. TBag helped you out.

Crissy settled on one of the slightly "slower" single cores for yesterday's socket 939. That AMD Athlon 64 3500+ is worth a measly $40 at newegg. It won't be faster than my old socket A. Newegg has a couple slightly "faster" dual core Athlon 64 X2 4200+ / ASUS 939 bundles for about $110.

Lots more of the socket AM2 stuff offered though. Only ten socket 939 processors are listed, while there are fifty for AM2. I'd look for socket AM2, and DDR2 memory, if I were shopping now.

You switched from "they" to "it" and said XFX cards are SLI capable and PCI-e.

Yeah man.

Reply to
Beryl

Probably because AMD builds a superior product.

Reply to
TBone

one its not Crissy, i have not had any sort of pissing match with you to date so get your shit straight. if you want to play that childish name game with someone who cares to piss back at you go right ahead but leave me out of that shit. i dont have time for it.

that is merely one board i am looking at, cost is a factor and yes i can be a cheap ass when it comes to computer hardware, nothing wrong with that. this socket A was a discount model when i bought it and has served me well over the years. infact i'd still use it past the time i upgrade if it wasnt for my school and my wife wanting her own computer so she can still check her email while i do my school work.

and yes i have a few dual core AM2 sockets i am considering but they are made by MSI a manufacturer i have experiance with and trust, so no need to question the reputation of them.

the question was mainly over the motherboard's manufacturer itself. something no one has touched on, not even the self proclaimed net nanny Beryl.

BTW are you the same Beryl i see in the linux group from time to time?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

What are you going to school for? I'm taking this semester off for the first time in a very long time. I'll start back again in the spring.

Never trust a guy that names himself after a soft mineral with poor cleavage.

I wonder what variety he claims to be? I'm guessing morganite. It's pink.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

working on a Computer Science degree, this quarter is Unix/Linux server administration.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Chris, so you know, though I think you might be aware, I did not mention anything about that board simply because I am not familiar with it.

Reply to
azwiley1

Actually, closed systems are almost always superior to open systems as far as speed and sometimes reliability goes. Where they lack is in flexibility and cost.

Reply to
TBone

Closed system is not superior. I prefer a non-proprietary open system by far.

Reply to
miles

Thats too bad. The Apple did have a great advantage in using Motorola CPU's over Intel. If you've ever programmed in assembly on both CPU's you'd understand just how inefficient Intel CPU's are.

Reply to
miles