Rule of Tim - crashy computer

Damn pooter keeps freezing on me. It's done this before and reinstalling XP helped for a while. It just locks up in the middle of something (mouse pointer freezes) and you have to do a hard reset to get it back.

Sometimes when rebooting I get a repeated Blue Screen of Death, which is the cue to dig out the XP disks again, because once it gets to that stage there's no reasoning with it.

It's annoying me in particular because I'm trying to encode an MPG onto DVD (using NeroVision Express) and it freezes up each time, around 20-30 minutes through the 4 hour recoding process. It's still doing that even though I rebuilt (repaired) XP from the original CD this morning.

The PC is an AMD Athlon 2800+ system with a single 512MB memory chip. Unplugging all the USB peripherals and changing the CD drives doesn't help, which makes me think the memory, processor or board are to blame. But as it's unpredictable, how best to find out which?

TIA David.

Reply to
David French

David French wrote: lt (repaired) XP from the original CD this morning.

How are all the cooling fans ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Most likely culprit is your memory.

If you can borrow some memory from a friend then try that first. Faulty memory can show all sorts of wierd symptoms, especially ones where the machine is ok until you do something eg cd burning, photo editing, or just open lots of browser windows.

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

is a good start

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

I'm not sure. They're all working but maybe they're not adequate. I did think for a time that it crashed more when I shut the door to the computer room (so it got hotter). But, it still crashes if it's just been booted up from stone cold, when I run Nerovision.

David French

Thanks, that's great - I'll give it a go.

Reply to
David French

Video driver problem. As always. Get a new one.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Well, I've run Memtest 3 times, and it's not yet completed - it locks up just as XP does (although the cursor continues to flash), getting to a different stage each time (98%, 35%, 14% respectively). Hard reset is the only way out.

My first thought was, oh well, it must be the memory. But Memtest isn't actually showing up any memory problems, it's just crashing. So could it just as easily be a CPU or Mobo failure?

Thanks again, David.

Reply to
David French

have you applied the Athlon XP patch?

there is a known problem with some athlon processors and some mobos

Si

Reply to
simonk

Looks like you definitely have a hardware problem, probably not memory though.

Some random thoughts:

If you have more than one stick of RAM (and the processor doesn't require paired memory), take one stick out at at time and retest.

If you have any spare components, try swapping them.

Check the BIOS status page that shows temperatures and voltages.

Try underclocking the CPU - i.e. if it were a 2.0 GHz part, try running it at 1.8 GHz. The processor label is probably hidden under a heatsink and paste, but it would be good to check that the processor really is what you think it is. This has worked for me in the past.

Is it auto-detected by the motherboard?

There is a program available from Intel that will tell you what it really is.

Check to see if there is a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard.

There are more hints at

If it is temperature related, try opening the case and pointing a great big fan into it - once, long ago that was the only way I could keep an old Novell box running after the CPU fan had failed and the CPU had fried.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

Hiya,

Could be down to the 'Bad Capacitor' problem.

could help? HTH

-- Dan Allen Ham Call sign:- M1ETN. Home of the M1ETN-L Internet Gateway, linking the world via Radio the easy way:-) Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Packet Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7NSY.#32.GBR.EU Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-
Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE:

Dan Allen

Sounds good, but I can't find it with Google, or on the AMD website. Could somebody throw me a pointer?

Thanks, David.

Reply to
David French

No, only 1 stick, unless I can borrow one.

Nothing I've not already swapped...

I've done this in the past and it's all checked out OK. Anybody want to give a max operating temp figure for an Athlon?

It's a 2.2GHz proc so I'll try this.

Thanks!

Reply to
David French

Nothing of note in there. One of the problems is, the PC seems to freeze up before it can make any note of what's going wrong.

All patched up until last night when I reinstalled. I had a hunch that it was actually one of the patches which was causing instability but that doesn't now seem to be the case.

David

Reply to
David French

I'll take a butchers, thanks.

I ran Hot CPU Tester Pro (the Freeware Lite version) overnight with a processor burn-in pattern. It didn't crash. I also ran a Memory burn-in for an hour or two and it still didn't crash, but I'll try that again today.

David

Reply to
David French

David,

You haven't got a scanner or anything plugged into it have you? Have you tried booting in safe mode and just leaving it on?

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Even with everything unplugged and in safe mode, it can crash. It sometimes goes several days without freezing, but I can make it freeze every time with Nerovision. It's just odd that it doesn't do it at the same point each time.

I'm wondering whether it could be a graphics thing. I'm using the on-board VIA chipset, I wonder if it could be a graphics subroutine which is leading to the problems?

David

Reply to
David French

There is software with my tv card that causes this problem. I just stopped using it ;-)

If you have a VIA chipset, make sure it's running VIA drivers and not MS ones....

Neil

Neil Brownlee

David,

I have to say that I don't think it's XP. Might be software drivers for a component or two, but it's most likely to be hardware.

You don't say which motherboard you're using, but intermittment & inexplicable crashes like these can often be laid either at the feet of cheap ram which some boards don't like - typically the Asus boards & some Abit boards with nVidia nForce2 chipsets. Using good quality branded ram like KingMax or Crucial can solve that problem.

Or the other most common problem is the power supply unit (PSU). These can be often be underpowered for all the components or of poor quality - which leads to voltage instability. It's especially important that the 3.3v supply is stable. When it's not, spontaneous freezes or reboots can be expected. Download Motherboard Monitor (free) from:

and check voltages & temperatures.

Replacing the PSU with a good one - Enermax or Levicom at 400W or above - solves many issues.

Rgds

Robin Davies

Reply to
Robin

On or around Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:40:19 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

my "1.9" Athlon will only reliablty run at about 1640 max.

Reply to
Austin Shackles