OT -- Looking to upgrade Computer

The Motorola chip was hard to get in sufficient numbers, ran hot and sucked up an enormous amount of power.

Moving to Intel was the best option for Apple's future business plans.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

I've had many issues with ABIT. They're a lower end board. Luck of the draw with some good some bad. ASUS is one of the best. Gigabyte is a decent low to mid priced board. Years ago I used only Tyan but they started having bios and other issues and I dumped them. I now use ECS for low end, MSI for mid level and Supermicro or ASUS for high end.

The only video cards I stay away from are ATI. They are junk. Their Open-GL graphics support is poor so most CAD programs struggle with them.

SATA is pretty darn quick and IDE is fading fast. For a server I prefer SCSI. Not so much for the speed but rather the higher end drives with long MTBF rates are mostly SCSI.

Reply to
miles

The hardware is not a "closed system", which is what we were discussing. Keep up.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Not true. Open platforms allow innovation from a multitude of sources. Lets say when PC's first came out IBM bought exclusive rights to MS-DOS and locked it into a closed system. Nobody could clone the original IBM PC. Where do you think PC hardware would be today with just IBM and their proprietary closed system? No way Tom! An open system is why we have so many companies pushing the limit with new technology in PC's every year.

Want another example? Apple came out with their Firewire serial bus. If any other manufacture wants to put a firewire port on their PC they have to pay Apple. It was far superior to the original USB 1 for it's speed. However, because its a closed system and USB being open, development gained fast for USB and stalled for firewire.

Reply to
miles

Apples hardware most certainly is closed. How many Apple clones are sold legally?

Even for a manufacture to include Apples Firewire port they have to pay Apple royalties. Not so with the USB which is open.

Reply to
miles

Hogwash. If the hardware was closed and proprietary as you claim, linux and Windows would not be able to run on the system natively. Apple's USE to be a closed system. Not anymore.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Boy, I get fogged in for a day and you miss me already.

Reply to
Ed H.

thats what i figured

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I haven't used "Fusion" but I have used several VMWare products for other OS's. They do know how to write virtual machine code!

Reply to
Ed H.

Google for "Mac BIOS" and you'll find that they don't use the standard PC BIOS. A Mac mainboard just isn't a PC motherboard, even if they can use the same intel processors.

Reply to
Beryl

"TBone" wrote in news:46d5c9ba$0$6450$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

How so?

Reply to
Joe

linux could run on the system if some open source developer took a desire to build a kernel to boot the apple hardware. wiether or not the software is open to be developed competitively by other companies or not has no bearing on that particular issue.

sorry Craig i have to disagree with your stance there bud.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

What is it specifically that you think you *can't* do with Apple hardware that you can supposedly do with the system you originally posted about?

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Bullshit. I don't care whether you make up nicknames for people or not, subtle comments don't go unnoticed.

I think your AMD/MachSpeed bundle is too low-end. At least the CPU is.

I never heard of MachSpeed. I hear MSI and Gigabyte are good brands. Asus usually is good. Abit was good, probably still is.

I never proclaimed myself net nanny. I did notice punkin playing the role, so I decided to see if he can take it as well as dish it out. Nope, he's a real whiner when he's on the receiving end.

Nope.

Reply to
Beryl

Say what??? You have no clue what 'closed' or 'proprietary' mean. There have been 3rd party software developers for Apple computers since the days of the Apple II+. Every Apple since has been 100% proprietary. With the Apple II+ there were some clones such as the Franklin but Apple sued their ass and won...why? Because Apple computers have ALWAYS been 100% closed hardware. Nobody can clone an Apple legally without paying Apple royalties.

Reply to
miles

It's not the same Intel CPU's from what I've read. The microcode is unique to Apple.

Reply to
miles

Clone it. Anyone can produce an Intel based PC that can run Windows. Only Apple can make a PC that can run Apples OS. Anyone who makes a PC with a firewire port must pay Apple royalties. Not so with USB which is open hardware.

Reply to
miles

Beryl is around 8 on Mohs Scale.

Fuchsite - Crag's fave site, with perfect cleavage

Dickite - Crag adores this mineral, can't keep his hands off

Fukalite - When Crag's got an extra minute in the men's room

Kinoshitalite - Crag leaves these in the bushes

Coprolite - Stone on Mrs. Crag's wedding ring

Emerald

Party in Crag's mouth, everyone's cummingtonite

Reply to
Beryl

Good im glad you can notice subtle comments. still not gonna have a pissin match with you.

Well thanks for the input.

neither had i thats why i asked if anyone else had any experiance with them.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Still gonna call you Crissy anyway.

I disagree with miles about abit being lower end. They're a small company that became famous for "enthusiast" boards. They steadily crank out new BIOS versions, even for boards that are out of production. They're the only brand I'm aware of that accepted responsibility for the widespread capacitor problem several years back and replaced affected boards free, even long after the warranties were expired.

But as miles says, there are hits and misses. If you're not a tinkerer, Asus is more of a buy-it-and-forget-it board.

Reply to
Beryl