Questions on a 2000 Ram 1500 4X4

I recently purchased a 2000 Ram 1500 4X4. I have a few questions about it if the group could answer please.. It has a bit of aftermarket stuff put on it including bigger tires than stock (315/75R16). It appears as though the previous owner didn't have the speedo recalibrated because at freeway speeds, I'm going 12-15 mph faster than what the speedo says. First question - is there any way to recalibrate it without spending the $400 for a hypertech (or similar) device which I'll basically only use that once because I don't trailer at all? Second, the speedo being off would also throw off the odometer, would it not? Secondly, I think the transfer case is leaking fluid. It's got the 231D. Is there a quick fix for this or where is a good place to get a replacement?

Thanks for any help, Socalstaff

Reply to
socalstaff

Your dealer can re-program the PCM for the new number of revolutions per mile (you'll either have to figure that out, or get it from the tire manufacturer - but I'm pretty sure those tires are 601revs/mile)

Alternatively, there are electronic recalibration boxes that you can wire in between your ABS computer and PCM, that will correct the speed. These will run between $150 and $200. A dealer should only charge $75 or so to recalibrate the PCM.

It would.

Thirdly, but who's counting :)

Depends on where it's leaking from. Common points are the input shaft seal (between the transmission and transfer case - requires removing the transfer case to replace), the output shaft seal (where the driveshaft connects - easy to replace, just have to remove driveshaft), or the drain/fill plugs (easiest to fix - just tighten with a 3/8" allen wrench). Of course, it could be leaking from the case itself (where the two halves join together), but that's much less common.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence