rear end noise

I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 and I am getting rear end noise. You will start to hear it at 30 mph and gets real noticable @ 50, but at 70 it is less noticable. It does not seem to change in pitch with speed. It is like a hum.... When putting under load is when you will hear it. At coasting, it all but goes away. There is 87000 mi on it. Any idea's? I was told that it may be a pinion bearing... Could it be that just there is to much lash ?

Reply to
djobelius

Sorry but no, it's either a bearing or a bad ring and pinion. I'd almost bet it's a bearing.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Are you positive that it isn't a u-joint?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

It is not the ring and pinion (not yet anyway) because it would change pitch with speed. It is very likely the pinion bearings with the one closest to pinion head being the likley cause here. Second choice would be carrier bearings. It will be one of those two things. As a foot note as bearings wear they can damage ring and pinion over time but yours may not be damaged yet because of sound reported. Get this repaired before it does take them out too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I'm with Al, bearing.

Reply to
Roy

Bearing. Dodge trucks are famous for this. Yours lasted longer than both of mine, though. Crawl under there and grab the drive shaft. Try and turn it. If you can turn it a measurable amount, you need a diff rebuild. That will cost you about $850 around here. If you don't have limited slip, now is the time to add it.

Reply to
.boB

When my pinion bearings went south the noise they made was a very high pitched whine that started at ~35-40mph and increased in pitch as you went faster.......

pull your dif cover and drop the drive shaft....pull the axles and turn the pinion yoke by hand....my pinion yoke did not turn freely nor smoothly and the pinion bearings made a growling/grinding noise when I turned it.....

my $.02 rich

Reply to
r_scotto

"r_scotto" wrote in news:I0MBh.11687$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net: