Transfer case leak

Ok, before you all start in on me, yeah yeah yeah, I should have bought a real truck! ANYWAY

I have a leak and can't find the damn thing! I know it is my T/C as I have had to add lube twice in the last month. The rear output seal has been replace as it was leaking there, the front seal is not leaking, I have power washed it (all the areas that I could) and everywhere it was cleaned is still clean. I have inspected what I could for cracks, punctures, holes, etc and couldn't see or feel any.

So, my dilema is where the hell is the leak? It doesn't leak in park, but the blow out while driving is terrible. Tom, Mike, Gary G (if you are around) anyone, have any ideas?

Reply to
azwiley1

that's OK - your truck and real trucks use the same transfer cases....

How about the vent tube? Take a plastic soda bottle, stick the end of the vent tube into it, and use electrical tape to hold everything in place. This will do two things... one, it will catch any fluid that the TC may be puking out the vent tube, and secondly, it will prevent a venturi effect from drawing fluid out of the tube. After a couple of days, check the bottle for fluid.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Right on, I'll do that on Saturday and see what happens when I start driving it around. I mainly see the blow out/leak when I go to work at high way speeds.

So, if this is the problem, what is the cause and fix?

Reply to
azwiley1

If it's just being sucked out from the slipstream, relocate the vent tube somewhere else where it's protected from that, and/or put back the missing/never-there-to-begin-with little white plastic vent cap thingy that allows the vent line to breathe, but would prevent the sucking phenomenon.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Cool! You Da MAN!

Reply to