start a dodge truck without key

How do I start a used Cummins diesel engine removed from a Dodge truck? I don't have a key, and I don't have a foot pedal. There's an ECM (electronic control module) on the side of the engine, so I figure I need to hook something up to that ECM in order to get it to turn over and run. Does anyone have any experience with this? I heard that there was some sort of device that would let me do this.

Thanks for your help.

ds

Reply to
DSS&DLS

Get a wiring diagram for the particular year truck/engine you have, and see what pins you need to supply battery voltage to on the ECM. Power up the ECM, power up the fuel (lift) pump, and then supply power to the starter solenoid. It should start and idle. To add power, you'll need to manipulate the APPS mounted on the front-left side of the engine (this is where the throttle cable would connect).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence