thumping, thuds felt in steering column

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 1999.

I recently took it to the shop because while driving I can feel (through the steering wheel) all sorts of thuds and thumps that feels like it's coming from near the end of the steering column. Going around long corners I can really feel it. It'll thump on and off throughout the whole corner. Sometimes I'll feel it just driving straight. It's not a vibration or shimmy. One way I can try to explain it is it feels like someone is lightly tapping the steering column with a rubber hammer. It's sporadic and holds no type of rhythm.

So the guy in the shop says well, your upper and lower ball joints have some play in it, your tie-rod end has some play in it, your wheel bearings have some play in it, your track bar has some play in it. So I assumed he knew what he was taking about.... So after finding out that my Guardian insurance plan paid for almost $600 of these repairs I had him do it all.

The problem is still there. I couldn't believe it. I almost have a brand new front end basically. But yet the thumping knocking, general unsafe feeling is still there.

I just put new rotors, calipers and pads on the front, both sides. So it's not a break vibration.

I don't know much about this part of the truck so do you guys have any suggestions on where this could be coming from?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve K

I would be interested in info on this symptom as well. I have similar issue on

96 Ram 1500 4x4. I just feels like someone is under there hitting something in the steering column occasionally. I can also feel some of this through the brake pedal.

The only thing I would add is that I don't get this right away. It usually takes a few minutes of driving for this to start.

There is a TSB for 1996 RAMS having to do with loose steering column but I don't think that's what it is, or that the TSB applies to 99's.

Here's a link to TSB's

. GW

Steve K wrote:

Reply to
High Sierra

Steering shaft

Reply to
noname

Reply to
High Sierra

I'd bet on it being one of two things, neither of which you mention. Steering box, and intermediate shaft.

The steering box will make all sorts of thumping up through the column, especially when coming o a stop and pulling away from a dead stop. It will also make this sort of feeling as you turn. It'll get worse and turn into a banging as you turn a corner.

The intermediate shaft has aluminum ends, and they can either wear, or be junk to begin with. Mine on a 2500 was replaced under warranty with one that was actually worse than the original. I checked the column end of it and found it to be loose fitting on the bottom end of the column. On the box end, it had half the spline it should have. I immediately spent the money on a Borgeson unit. It has steel couplings, more spline, needle bearing universals, and is generally a better quality unit than you'll find on any factory pickup truck.

Reply to
Max Dodge

could really be the intermediate shaft. I have the same isue with my 2000. do not purchase an OEM intermediate shaft. get a borgeson.

I have not replaced mine yet but I would bet that is your problem. I have done ALOT of research and although it is tricky to troubleshoot, since it is not an "official" problem with the truck, I believe that is what it is. and you could replace it yourself.

EDTHEWARD

Try this site. Go to tech menu, common problems,steering.

another good site for repairs on dodges.http://www.pavementsucks.com/

Reply to
system

Thanks for all your help. Sounds like it's a "common" problem in Dodge trucks.

Reply to
Steve K

I've got a '98 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 (sport w/ trailer tow pkg). It now has

78k miles on it and it's been making (or feeling ?) this exact same noise since around 40k miles. Been to a Dodge dealer and an independent shop (plus yearly inspections) and I've been told nothing is worn. Yet the noise / feel continues. Hasn't really gotten much worse and doesn't really affect the handling. But I would like to correct it if I could.
Reply to
RJS

As a few of the other posters have mentioned, its the intermediate shaft. The steering column is mounted solid to the body. The gearbox is mounted solid to the frame. The intermediate shaft connects the two and as the body shifts on the rubber mounts, the shaft telescopes to compensate for the flex. What causes the "thunk" feeling in the steering wheel is the shaft has rusted or is otherwise sticking and is not moving smoothly so when it does give, you feel the "thunk". I've tried several different types of grease or oils and so far the only fix that I've found is to just replace the shaft.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

You could check out these tsb's:

Steering - 19-08-97, 19-13-97, and Break Pedal - -5-08-96

Also someone mentioned trackbar. I checked mine as per a previous poster and it has about 1/8 inch of play.

Reply to
High Sierra

Hey Gang,

I had this same problem with my 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport. It had about 50K on it when this happened. Symptoms were that I could feel a "thud" when through the steering wheel, especially when I braked or accelerated.

here is what I just looked up in my maintenance receipts.

Dodge Dealer replaced steering coupler for $250, labor was 1/2 an hour.

Egg Raid

Reply to
EggRaid

well I got my borgeson intermediate shaft today, Steve Ks post reminded me to go ahead and fix this, anyways I am putting on a new roof and when I am done the shaft goes in. I will let you guys know if it worked.

Reply to
EDTHEWARD

finally repalced the intermediate sterring shaft today.

clunking/popping is gone completely.

got a borgeson.

Reply to
EDTHEWARD

I sent you an e-mail. Mine is still popping and I need to fix it or it'll never sell popping. Then again, I'm growing rather fond of it and may keep it. Where'd you get your borgeson replacement and how much? Part #? Thanks

Reply to
Ben in TN

emailed ya

Reply to
EDTHEWARD

I replaced mine as well....thumping is gone 100%. Now to get rid of the clicking. Maybe replacing the ball joints will help cure that issue. Those will be in day after tomorrow so that'll be a weekend project. Then the DT Track Bar goes in. Not much left to replace after this round.

Carolina Watercraft Works

Laszlo, did you use the same Borgeson unit?

Reply to
Ben in TN

Yup. Install was a breeze.

Reply to