torque converter

Hi All,

What's the symptoms if a torque converter is not properly functioning in a

90's 2500 diesel?

If you wanted to replace your torque converter, is there a particular brand that that gives the best performance or do people usually use factory parts?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Check these guys out:

Nosey

I used DTT in a 2K 2500 and was totally happy with it. I went with the convertor and the trans, it was like a new truck.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Partial loss of power to the drivetrain... sluggish off the line... if removed and shaken back and forth, it'll sound like a tamborine

DTT - $750

Power - $615
- $509
Performance - $240

Tom Lawrence

Wow. Has anyone done a price/performance analysis of the various brands?

Reply to
Tim

Don't even consider the TCI and MP offerings, these are high-stall converters, the last thing you want behind a diesel. (In fact none of theirs will fit the diesel)

By reputation the DTT is probably the best.

Reply to
John Kunkel

TCI part# 142250 - "1998-95 Dodge Cummins Diesel A518 non lock-up"

That won't fit?

Probably so... but why spend the extra money on a beefed-up TC designed to hold 600HP for an otherwise stock truck/transmission?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

But while it's apart.......It may not stay stock.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Right... I must have missed the part where he said he wanted to build up his whole transmission :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No, I was going on the part where he said "brand that gives the best performance". Figured he had plans.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Because the stocker isn't up to the task?

Reply to
John Kunkel

Am I reading this right -- you would use a torque converter the would

*not* lock up in a diesel application? It makes sense to me that a converter would lock up at cruise speed.

Is this incorrect for a diesel??

Reply to
Tim

I was looking for the best price/performance value. My main interest is trouble free operation with highest fuel mileage available. I really don't know very much about this right now. Just trying to get educated.

I really appreciate all the info from you folks.....

Reply to
Tim

It has nothing to do with a diesel... I'm not sure if '92 had a LU or non-LU TC. Of course a LU converter is better, but if your transmission wasn't designed for one, you'll have no way of getting it to lock up (or even fit, for that matter).

And now that I look back.... where in the heck did I get the idea that you had a '92?? You actually didn't specify a year, but since you said it was a

2500, that should have automatically signalled at least a '94 (hint: it helps if you're specific about a vehicle - otherwise people start ASSuming things... some of us laugh at ourselves for being asses, others reach for a cross and a hammer...). I was an ass... oops :)

At any rate.... yeah, you definately have a lock-up TC. In that case, it's a different part number, and about another $15.

My point in all this is to call around... don't just go right for "the best" just because it's "the best" (and I happen to think the best torque converters are purple in color - but that's just my own brand-bias, and I'd never recommend a $1400 TC for a stock transmission)... no need to buy a Diablo when a Charger will fit the bill.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence