Trading Up - Maybe

Thinking of trading in my '99 Dakota Sport (V6) for a new '05 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x2 Hemi (Sport appearance group/look). Saw some last night at the dealer and with the employee discount and other discounts the hole in the pocket would be about $22k.

Any pitfalls or drawbacks on the new RAMs - especially the Hemi engine?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ray Austin, TX =======

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

GAS

Reply to
Andy

Definitely the fuel economy. My son's friend just got a new 05 Ram 1500 QC Hemi. Bright fire engine red and 20" wheels, leather interior. Sharp looking truck. Around town he claims he gets between 10 and 12 mpg depending on how he drives. He's only 21 so you know it's mostly around

  1. :)
Reply to
RamMan

It will improve as the engine breaks in. I have a 2004 Hemi Durango 4x4 and get about 16 around town, 19 or so highway.

The 20" wheels make little sense to me. It's a truck and a 4x4. That might hurt the city mpg if the overall tire diameter is larger.

snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

Reply to
miles

So many say that about the Hemi but I find the opposite. I also have a

2001 Ram 1500 QC with the 5.9L. The Hemi flat outperforms it with ease and I get better mpg. Now when I load it down such as tow> GAS
Reply to
miles

You're right, the hemi will probably do a little better than that 3.9 V-6 (as long as you don't take full advantage of the extra acceleration capability).

John

Andy wrote:

Reply to
JPH

What ever happened to the "multi-displacement" option that was going to be available on the Hemis? It was supposed to disable 2 or 4 cylinders when running at a stable cruise, then cut all the cylinders back in when power was needed. Talk was something like 30 mpg during the "small displacement" phase.

I've heard nothing more about it. Did it go the way of the older Cadillac attempt?

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

Only used in the cars.

Reply to
.boB

But we should be seeing it in the next year on the trucks, according to the gurus in Auburn Hills anyway.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Yup! Will be available in the DR 1500 series.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Dealers won't give the KBB trade in value. They give the current wholesale auction value. Why would they give more than what they can get the same vehicle at auction? My guess is it appeared they gave you KBB by cutting into their profit on the new vehicle. They're making a ton of money on this employee pricing thing. I bought my 2004 last summer and paid about $1500 less than the current employee price.

Jay wrote:

Reply to
miles

You did better than me. I figure I saved about $1000 less than employee discount on my 05 last Feb.

Roy

Reply to
Roy