Truck was Rear-Ended - Should the Hitch be Replaced?

My husband got rear-ended in his brand new Dodge Ram Powerwagon (sniff!) yesterday and the only real damage appears to be to the bumper (can't say the same is true for the other car!). The hitch is scratched, but appears fine. I have heard from friends that hitch damage is sometimes invisible to the naked eye (hairline cracks that can comprmise the hitch in some way).

We're taking it to the claims adjuster tomorrow. If the hitch should be replaced (and the adjuster does not include this in the repairs), I'd like to be armed with some written documentation that states it is a safety issue not to replace hitches that are involved in a rear collision. Is there any information I can get online? I called Dodge and our dealer, and neither of them were any help.

If it is a good idea to get it replaced, we'll do it anyway. We'd just like to have the insurance company pay for it, if we can.

Thank you, Paula

Reply to
Pokee

I'm in the steel fabrication business, we heat, bend, roll, camber and straighten structural steel daily. I assure you, it's not hurt a bit.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I hear what you are saying but the hitch should be fine. Be thankful that you had it on. Otherwise your truck would have more damage. I had someone run into the back of my 79 Dodge Van Replaced the bumper & another $500 would have fixed it up (didn't fix it) Still drove Fine The other car a 2000 Maxim was totalled. The trailer hitch did a number on his car, he needed a tow truck

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

You're not likely to get anybody to make a statement like that, What you need to do is get the adjuster to include the cost to have the hitch removed, inspected, and repaired/replaced as necessary. What the adjuster writes is not carved in stone. It's not uncommon for the body shop/repair shop to uncover hidden damage of all sorts that the adjuster couldn't see. You'de be amazed what kind of damage transmitted force does. Bottom line, the hitch most likely does not need to be replaced. But it does need to be removed and carefully inspected. The frame attachement points also need to be carefully inspected.

Reply to
.boB

if the adjuster wont do it tell him you pull a $80,000.00 boat and would like in writing that his ins.co is willing to take full responsibility for any hitch failure and death when it comes free.

Reply to
Chad