98 Dodge Dakota auto tranny slips at startup

I have a 98 Dodge Dakota with auto w/overdrive tranny wth 80000 miles. Flushed by dealership 5k miles ago.

Has started to not pull for a couple of seconds immediately after startup if it has been sitting for more than a 3 or 4 days without being started. The engine just revs up and then finally it will start to roll then takes off normally.

After it finally takes off all is fine no slippage whatsoever.

Could it be the torque converter bleeding off or something similar?

What can I do to fix this problem?

Reply to
Philip Mc

Yes, the converter is draining when it sits. The design of the transmission doesn't allow the converter to refill rapidly in Park so it's a good idea to make the first start of the day in Neutral. In Neutral the converter will refill in a matter of seconds.

Reply to
John Kunkel

My 1987 does this. It's an old phone company van, and then was used by a landlord who ran it hard, and didn't maintain it.

Every time I get near the transmission shop, it's a thousand bucks. So I just live with it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm wondering if someone can verify whether or not Dakotas have a check valve in the cooler lines like the Rams do. If they do, then it stands to reason that something is holding the valve open. I'm only pointing this out because (1) it's easy to remove, clean, and inspect, and (2) if debris is the cause, then it stands to reason that the next problem down the line is a plugged cooler or jammed check valve....leaving you stranded or worse yet stranded with a fried transmission. This info has kept me off the hook twice so far...

FYI: My torque c> My 1987 does this. It's an old phone company van, and then was used by

Reply to
Jon

when was the tranny's filter last changed?

Reply to
bill allemann

The "converter drainback valve" in the cooler line is a misnomer, it doesn't actually prevent the converter from draining it prevents the side tank mounted cooler from draining through the converter.

The actual converter drainback takes place mostly at the front pump bushing. Other brand converters also drain back but their valve bodies allow the converter to refill quickly upon startup so it isn't noticed by the driver.

Reply to
John Kunkel

I honestly dont know, but we have only put 4K miles on it in the last 2 years since the dealer flushed it. Think changing the filter may help?

Reply to
Philip Mc

You're treating this as if it were an operating defect, it isn't, it's just a defect in design. Start the engine in Neutral and you won't have the problem.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Is there a TSB? I've owned a '91, '97 and now an '03 Dakota 4wd rigs and never experienced this problem.

Reply to
jbohren