UPDATE 1999' RAM "Speed Sensor Malfunction"

I replaced the speed sensor today, using an identical one that I bought at AutoZone. Unfortunately, replacing it had no effect and the speed dial still acts erratically. It shows zero at low speeds, and starts showing speed at high speeds (40+ MPH). Any clues?

Ignoramus32489

When my speed sensor went bad, all the symptoms showed up at the same time. The speedometer read zero and the ABS and BRAKE lights came on. Everything was OK before that moment. BTW, I have a 99 Ram diesel 2500.

Did the new part fix the ABS & BRAKE lights? Perhaps the eratic speedometer is a different problem.

Reply to
Ed J

Did you check to make sure that you don't have a second one on the transmission?

Reply to
TBone

Exactly my problem!

No, I do not think so.

Thanks for sharing.

Ignoramus32489

Um, that's the one that I replaced!

Is there a second one somewhere else?

Ignoramus32489

rear wheel speed sensor is in the rear axle on top of the axle housing

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

The output speed sensor in the trans wouldn't make the ABS/Brake lights illuminate, nor make the speedo fluctuate. It may set a code, but that's it.

You replaced the wrong one... in the previous thread, at least two of us told you it was the one in the rear diff. Hopefully the people at Autozone are friendly, and will take the incorrect sensor back.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Oh, I see. I was looking at it today and wondering what it was for. How is it removed? There is no obvious threading there.

Ignoramus32489

It is held down by a single bolt and clamp.

Reply to
TBone

Most auto parts store will not take back electrical items, at least not the ones that I worked at.

Reply to
TBone

Thanks. What's the name of that item? Is it also called "vehicle speed sensor"?

Ignoramus14381

It is sometimes referred to as the RWAL speed sensor.

Reply to
TBone

Or just keep the old one as a spare.

Reply to
Nosey

I ordered the RWAL speed sensor from dodgeparts.com. The sensor promptly arrived today. Replacing it was easy, but a little uncomfortable. Could have been much worse with a different vehicle.

This FULLY TOOK CARE OF MY TRUCK PROBLEMS. No idiot lights are lit up. ABS, check engine lights etc are all gone and my speedometer is functioning perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for your help and guidance.

Ignoramus16736

Just curious, how much would it cost me to fix this problem at a dealer, especially if I was not a well informed customer.

thanks

Ignoramus30369

Probably about $50.00 for the part and an hours labor.

Reply to
TBone