water pump Dakota - by pass tube STUCK!!!

ARGH!

OK, can't get the bypass tube out of the old water pump to put into the new one. Tried heat - NO JOY.

Suggestions? See picture for reference...

HELP!?!?!

Reply to
1967.Ranchero.Restoration

Yeah, that was a bitch on a friend's '98 Ram, too. It's pressed in with an O-ring. I'd try a pipe wrench on it, try and get it to turn inside the pump (to break loose the corrosion that's holding it in place). It's too late now, but there are aftermarket pumps available with a threaded hold for a threaded hose nipple, which eliminates both the problem of re-using the old tube, and the very good possibility of a leak when re-installing it.

If the old pump is out, and it's trash anyway, you could try splitting the neck, where the tube presses in, with a Dremel. Be careful not to cut too deep that you damage the tube.

At worst case, a new bypass tube is $10 from NAPA (part# 6601692). Don't drive yourself crazy...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Put it in the freezer overnight, then hit it with heat...the housing side that is.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

That's what I did. The cost of a new tube is small versus spending time getting the old one out, plus risking that the old one will fail soon after the waterpump job is done.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Yep... on said '98 Ram, when we re-installed the tube, it leaked (go figure). Put a new O-ring on... still leaked. Wound up surrounding the whole seam between pump and tube with some radiator patch (a putty that hardens to a brass-like material).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence