water pump

When changing a water pump on a 97 sebring v6, what has to be taken off. This car has been a nightmare. I have the new pump but the problem is removing the old one. Any suggestions? Diagram would be great.. I have been trying for 2days to remove the old pump.

Reply to
virginia26

Well, u gotta have to take the timing belt, and then the pump, located in the bottom of the engine. If you have any questions buy any of the haynes manuals available at your neighbourhood's auto stores. I'm sure they will be more helpful than I am. By the way, it would be a good idea to check your timing belt as it has to be removed as well. If it's cracked or shows any signs of deteoration, do change it!

Reply to
Julian87

Actually the outward appearance of a timing belt wouldn't necessarily be an indicator of its internal condition (cords - which cause the problem when they break). Particularly since this is an interference engine, it would be advisable to change the belt on the recommended 60k mile interval.

Also, not trying to pick on you, but I don't trust Haynes manuals - been burned too many times in the past. Better to get an FSM.

Bill Putney

I will have to second this. I changed the water pump on a friend's '91 Dodge Spirit (i think that was it)... once I found out you had to remove the timing belt to get the water pump, I compelled my friend to get a new belt and tension roller as well.

Also, a past girlfriend has a Toyota thing with serpentine belts .. one day I changed her oil and took a glance at the belts and didn't notice any cracking or any of the "telltale signs" that screamed for replacement. However, the next week, she called me up in tears telling me she "was hearing a funny noise for two days, then the noise stopped on my way to work this morning" (15 miles away).. By the time she neared home on the return trip, the car kept shutting off and steam started boiling out of the radiator.. the belt for the waterpump broke and she was still driving it. Unbelievably, she didn't destroy the engine.. the point is that a belt can fail at any time -- good looking or not.

Reply to
Nza

Sometimes the idler pulley bearings get noisy and can lock up to, ripping apart an otherwise good belt - that may be what happened to your ex-girlfriend's Toyota. That applies to timing belts too (and you did mention the rollers). So - yes - to the original poster, replace timing belt and idlers/tensioners if the timing belt is due.

Bill Putney