What's reasonable workmanship for bodywork?

Recently, I received my truck back from the body shop, after they fixed the back fender. Initially we were quite happy with the work - panel looks good as new from arm's length. I have no quarrels with the quality of bodywork, or the paint matching. In most light, it is impossible to tell where the new paint is. The shop personnel have been patient and helpful with my questions/concerns so far.

From closer up though, I found some imperfections. I'm not sure if I'm being nitpicky or not, thus this post.

My truck is dark green/silver two tone. The first thing I noticed was that there's some green on the silver near the repair - they've already agreed to fix that. It's faint, but noticeable.

Also, the rear backup light no longer works, despite a brand new light assembly. The old one did work, after the accident. They've agreed to have a look at this too.

Later, I've noticed the following:

  1. There's an area of paint toward the front of the panel - probably where some blending was done - that looks like someone wiped a sponge over it and it dried, leaving a water stain that dulls the paint. However, this won't come off, and is still noticeable after I tried waxing it.

  1. On the next panel over, there's a roughness to the paint that won't wash or wax out. Since it's up by the window, I have no idea what it is, 'cept it wasn't there last time I waxed. It's unlikely to be environmental though, as it's behind my bed box.

  2. Looks like they created some little chip marks to the corner of the neighboring panel, which they touched up. But those chips weren't there before, and are now quite noticeable despite the touch up.

Now all of these are small, but to me they add up to a less-than-perfect quality control. But what I need to know is - is this normal, and should I let it slide, or am I justified in pointing them out and asking to have them fixed? What sort of quality level is expected for some relatively minor body work?

Thanks for any help.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

If the problems weren't there prior to the repair, then the BS should fix 'em. The "roughness" is probably some overspray and can be cleaned off quickly with paint cleaning clay. It is always to good idea to clay the whole vehicle before waxing for a superior shine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (29-Oct-06 10:22 PM):

Thanks. Just got back - the light turns out to be a hack job by the English shop, and is now repaired.

The roughness - he insisted it can't be overspray, 'cause that part was covered in plastic. I've got some clay around here somewheres, will see if that smooths things out.

The dull bit, he said it was "polish" but gave no suggestions on how to get rid of it. Clay again?

I do love clay for keeping a great, smooth shine, but it's a lot of work on a truck, so I use the clay in spots as needed, and have only done the entire truck once.

When I'm washing, claying, waxing the truck, I sometimes miss Mello Yello, my first car - a little glow-in-the-dark-yellow 1976 Chevette: didn't take so long to wash and wax :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

You can "try" clay, but if it is polish, it should come off. Clay is a very mild abrasive, so you may need to go to something a tad more aggressive to restore the shine. Let me know, I may have something.

you owned a Chevette and admit to it!!?? That's almost as hard as finding someone who admits to voting for Jimmy Carter ;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (30-Oct-06 10:15 AM):

Hey! I loved that little yellow wimpmobile! I just told people I had a 'vette :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Yeah, I guess it was a 'Vette..... sorta....

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons