wrenching on a '96 Cummins

I'm doing some work on a '96 2500 4x4 with Cummins. Seems like everything I wanna do is mostly hidden by the vacuum brake system or hidden under the injection pump.

I tried to adjust my idle today. I got the 10mm jamnut on bottom loose, but never was able to adjust the idle bolt. I was thinking about taking loose the fenderwell inner liner to give better access. Is this a good idea?

The inner fenderwell liner has some kind of plastic fasteners attaching it in place -- almost looks like a rivet of some kind. It has a tiny circle in the middle of the fastener about as big as a pencil lead. ?? Do I have to drill these to remove them??

If this gives good access, I was thinking maybe needed to modify the inner liner to have some kind of easy access port. Anyone done this??

Reply to
J. Perkins

No, but you do have to get something in there (I use a thin Phillips screwdriver) to punch them loose. They're like plastic pop-rivets, and unfortunately, aren't re-usable.

Sure... just get some of those sheetmetal clips that allow you to thread a screw through them, like these:

Put those clips in the holes wehre the plastic fasteners came out, and when you put your liner back up, use some screws with nice wide heads (or use washers - but a one-piece screw is easier).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You don't have to do any of that. Get your right arm thru the mess and then with your left hand pull on the throttle to take the spring pressure off the idle adjuster. You can turn it easy enough. The trick, at least for me, is to use a short wrench. Go to a auto parts store, Wallyworld, etc... and buy a cheap $3 wrench set. Cut each in half and then round the sharp edges over. Works for me without removing anything. John

Reply to
Midlant

ps how many miles do you have on yours and how is it running? John

Reply to
Midlant

140K miles. The Cummins runs excellent.

I'm having steering wandering that no mechanic seems to be able to solve. Three different Dodge mechanics have looked at the front end and made many repairs. Still wanders.

Reply to
J. Perkins

Reply to
Midlant

If this is a 2WD check A frame anchors. On my 89 the rivets tore out.

Reply to
Joseph Myers