Changing Tie Rods on '94 Olds

Well, I am finally going to attempt to change the tie rods (both sides and both inner and outer) on my 94 Olds Silhouette. In the service manual it states that the Rack needs to be removed to do the inners. Are there any tricks to be able to remove the inners without removing the Rack? A couple of shops I called about this stated that they don't remove the rack to perform this job. How? Special tool?

How high do I need to have this van lifted, on jack stands, to allow me to both work on it, and remove the rack (if there is no other way)? I'm hoping to accomplish this task this weekend, then I'll have it aligned on Monday.

I am also going to replace the front struts, and rear shocks. I don't plan any issues with this part of the job.

Any and all help, suggestions, anecdotes would be appreciated and welcome.

TIA, Bill

Reply to
William F. Yehle II

Just a thought, you may want to price out a rebuilt rack. Many of them come with new inner tie rod ends and if you're going to be pulling the rack out anyways.......

As for how high you're going to have to raise it. That's all based upon your own girth & comfort levels.

With any repairs on a 10 year old vehicle, presoaking all of the bolts you wish to remove with penetrating oil is a good start.

Best of luck

Reply to
Full_Name

Yes, there are what amounts to extremely "deep" sockets that are used to loosen the inner tie rods ends. Basically, you remove the outer tie rod end, remove the plastic boot, and then you can slide the "deep" socket over the inner tie rod end and unscrew it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well,

I was unable to change the inner tie rod ends this weekend. I was unable to remove the jamb nut on the inner tie rod end to slide the boot off. The nut is rusted solid onto the inner tie rod end, and I don't have access to a torch to heat it up hot enough to break it loose. I attempted to use a propane torch to heat it up, but I couldn't get it hot enough. I soaked the nut with PB Blaster, but that didn't help. I used an impact on the nut, and some vice grips on the inner tie rod, but the tie rod is harder that my vice grips, so the tie rod continued to spin while using the impact.

I'm not sure if I am going to give up and have it done, or take it to a friends place with a torch to attempt to complete this task.

BTW - I replaced the struts and shocks on this vehicle this weekend. Most of those fasteners were pretty rusted on also (the lower shock bolts and one strut bolt/nut). I guess having 210K miles on it takes its toll.

Bill

Reply to
William F. Yehle II