Anyone tried fitting a Mk1 Punto with E-STEER from a Mk2?

Hello,

In another group someone suggested I might be able to fit an electronic power steering column (E-Steer) from a Mk2 Punto to my Mk1 which doesn't have power steering. If possible then this would work out a lot cheaper than getting a hydraulic system fitted.

Does anyone here know how similar the steering setups are between the two models? Has anyone actually tried this? Does anyone think it might work? Am I nuts?!?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

in article GidRb.417$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Al Reynolds at snipped-for-privacy@bat400.com wrote on 26/01/2004 18:49:

Seemingly not, Al. What's e-Steer? Is it what we affectionately called "the girly button" when we first saw it?

Paul

1999 Fiat Punto Sporting 16V (Mk1) ... and some Saabs :)
Paul Halliday

The E-Steer is an electric power assisted steering column. The Mk2 Punto was the first mass-release car to have a power-steering system without all the hydraulic gubbins like pump, hydraulic rack, belt etc.

The unit is powered from the car battery and just replaces the normal steering column, which is why it's much cheaper to install. The "girly button" was just to change the setting for how much assistance you wanted. The smarter systems vary the assistance according to vehicle speed etc.

You can get more info about E-Steer at:

an image of an electric power steering column at:
The E-Steer unit is about £180 new or £125 reconditioned, so if it could be fitted it would represent a significant saving over installing the equivalent hydraulic system.

I guess I really need to speak to someone who has regularly worked on both Mk1 and Mk2 Puntos, as they are likely to have an idea about whether it will fit or not.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I thought the Punto steering was electro-hydraulic power steering, not totally electric.

I worked for TRW in Holford, Birmingham on the Fiat Stilo electric steering (EPAS) where we considered it a world first! Certainly Fiat went through our processes and suppliers like it was a first! I still have grey hairs and nervous twitches that were a souvenir of most of us who were part of the launch!

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

are you nuts? :P ive changed loads of these mk2 motors and i would say that you could probly make one fit on a mk1 without too much trouble however the electrics would be the problem. the power steering ecu needs some info from the body computer, alternator status, vehicle speed, stuff like that. so yeah it could work, but i think it would probly be cheaper and easyer to buy a mk2.

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic

Fair enough. I think I'll just tell the wife to work on her arm muscles!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds