Buying a Fiat Brava... any advice?

Hi Guys, Im about to buy a Fiat Brava for £2900, its an R reg with 58,000 miles on the clock.

it seems in good condition, and drove well during the test drive, with all the usual things like power sterring, ewindows etc.

Anyone have any experience or advice with this kind of car?

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
Alan Finch

Alan Finch skrev:

I live in Denmark, and I haven't got a clue as to what "R reg" means :-( My guess would be that it's some UK (?) code for production year...?

Exhaust tends to corrode at the rear silencer, check that. The alloy mirror-plates, and the alloy plates at the backdoor corrodes slightly and the paint falls off. The lifetime of the rear windscreen wiper is not impressive. The doorhandles are some sort of rubber that absolutely does not like to be outdoors, and will disintegrate after 3-5 years. Front suspension bushes wear out a bit faster than on other cars.

Besides that it's a good car. I'm happy with my Brava 100 HSX 1998/99.

Reply to
Søren C. Fischer

Make sure timing belt has been changed as it is more than five years old. Other than that make sure everything works and that service history can be proved. DONT!!! pay more than £2500 for it. HTH Iain.

Reply to
The Pilot

I had two happy years with a Barvo TD100 (depsite needing a new engine due to overheating which the temp gauge didn't show until it was too late - but don't let that put you off it was just one of those unlucky instances and not indicative of all Fiat cars). Make sure you get the red key with it; it knocks about £700 of the resale price if you don't. Also try and find a good independant Fiat garage for servicing etc; most of the dealerships can not see anything wrong with the car if it doesn't show up on the computer. e.g. Took my TD100 to have a faulty EGR valve replaced, when I collected it the following day it wouldn't start, mechanic pushed it into the workshop and connected the computer up and said nothing wrong with it mate it all checkes out on the computer - OK so tell me why it won't start then! Fotunately there was a better mechanic on hand who immediately said air in fuel system and a quick squeeze of the pump and it was good to go. But imagine if the decent mechanic wasn't around.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Portess

Whats the red key?

Reply to
Alan Finch

When new, Fiats come with three keys - two blue (which you use for day-to-day driving) and a burgundy-coloured one - usually referred to as the red key.

You must have this key if ever you need a replacement key cutting. With the key - £20 for a new key. Without the red key the engine management system has to be replaced - upwards of £700.

It's all to do with an electronic signal sent by the key to the engine immobiliser. If it were easy to reproduce it wouldn't be any use.

Cheers Another Dave

Reply to
marsden

Hi, Thanks for this. Is there a special name for this kind of key? (So that when I ask the seller if it comes with it I wont sound too ignorant - which of course I am! :)

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
Alan Finch

The "Red Master Key "

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Should i have got a "Red Master Key with my MKII Punto? Only have 2 blue ones!

John

Reply to
John Scullion

I think it depends on the year/model. Don't know the details, but someone else here might know.

Got one with my 2000 Marea.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Would a red master key be needed for a W reg (2000?) 1.2 Punto as well?

Reply to
Alan Finch

Found this for you :

"For anyone else who is having trouble finding out whether their Fiat is red key or not, you can call Fiat on freephone 0800717000. All you need is the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) which you can find on your V5 log book"

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks Graham,

Will give em a call tomorrow. Mine was originally an import so hopefully they know my Punto exists in this country!!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Scullion

My grandmother's Punto Selecta is a 96-98 or so, and I remember it came with one new. I suppose there's a possibility that it doesn't just vary by year, but also by model, the Selecta IIRC comes with a bunch of options (besides the auto gearbox) as standard that a basic Punto might not have. Same 1.2 engine, though.

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

my very basic Punto 55S (1995, 1.1 engine) came with a red master key and two blue keys.

Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Hass

Then I think that pretty much covers it in that almost all Puntos have the master key.

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

Using the term "red key" doesn't make you sound ignorant - everybody calls it that.

The absence of the red key would make me suspicious that the car is stolen.

Cheers

Another Dave

Reply to
marsden