Fiat Tipo power steering fluid leak

Hallo Fiat-heads. I'm going crazy over a problem I keep having with Fiat Tipo power steering pipe leaking fluid which then drips onto hot exhaust and smokes like hell. The pipe is the one leading from the power steering pump down to the main pipe union on the steering rack. This pipe is part metal and part flexible (some kind of black woven nylon I think) and part of it is surrounded by a flexible foil wrapper (which seems to disintegrate pretty easily about halfway down). This is about the fourth time it happened. I have "fixed" it before by replacing the pipe with one from the scrapyard (I know I'm cheapskate but it cost £10 instead of £100). I just don't understand why the problem keeps recurring. Does anyone know of this problem? Is it a common one? Any ideas? If someone doesn't suggest something good I'm gonna cry. Thanks for reading this!

Reply to
Cosmic

I know the one you mean, strange mine is the original and I've done 110,000 miles, are you lining it up with the other connection as far as possible, Make sure it is NOT near the brake and clutch pipes on the bulkhead,,,are your engine mounts ok, look and see what movement there is when you rev up or shake the engine by hand, could you tell us where,,,or what part fails each time. Mike

Reply to
momojo