Fiat X1/9

I have a 82 Fiat X1/9 LTD. It's number 47 of 500. I picked it up pretty cheap, is it collectable? I haven't been able to locate any of the other 500. Any idea on the value?

Reply to
dp

This is one of the "IN" (VS in the US) models that Fiat sold just prior to Bricklin took over impoporting and changed the name to "Bertone". The plate on the dash was a good idea, tho just another "badge enginered" model. The only problem..they only sold about 250 of them before Bricklin took over and changed things, so it's even rarer than you thot. #1 is (was?) here in San Antonio. Just a non A/C car with red leather seats.

I have an article I'm sending to Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars that will detail the whole IN story. It's called, "Whatever happened to the X1/9?"

Good luck with finding the rest of the "500". As for collectibility, probably more value to a Fiat/Bertone person than the average Joe--but not much different value from any other '82.

John

Reply to
Fieronut

One more thing...they were ORIGINALLY gonna call it LTD but there was a minor problem, since Ford had appropriated that moniker a few years earlier. It seems that there were a few actually sold under that name but they finally called it VS (Version Speciale) over here and in the UK. But the "IN" name was the original from Bertone. Stands for "INternational" or "IN style" It seems that no one at Bertone actually knows for sure. I have some pix I got from Fiat with the LTD scratched out.

John

Reply to
Fieronut

I was wrong again. Actually, according to Tony Ciminera, only 166 VS were sold. Now you REALLY have a rare one!

John

Reply to
Fieronut

Wow, thanks for the info. I wonder how many of the 166 are left......

Dan

Reply to
dp

Your guess is as good as mine but probably not too many, knowing the tin worm problem.

John

Reply to
Fieronut