Re: Erratic Temp Gauge

Can anybody advise please. Car is a1997 Fiat Bravo TD100.

> > I had a recon engine in last November complete with new radiator and > thermostat. The temp gauge was slightly erratic and I decied to bleed the > cooling system the other day. The gauge is now more erratic than ever. After > a blast down the motorway the gauge moves to its 'normal' positon but if I > turn or apply the brakes the gauge suddenly drops to the bottom before > climbing back up again. After a run if I pull up on the drive the gauge > jerks around but if I switch the engine off and then move the key to the > auxillary position the gauge rises and sits perfectly still. Attempting to > bleed the system leads to more erratic gauge movements. The cooling fan > kicks in if the gauge hits the half way mark, which happens in traffic jams > etc. > > I need to drive 400 miles next week to Penzance so would appreciate any > advice in the mean time. Don't want to spend too much as I am looking to > change the car in the next 2 months. > > Thanks in advance, > > Andy > > > > >
Reply to
Mike

Mike,

Thanks the the info, the radiator bleed point is at the top of the radiator and I think it is slighlty higher than the engine. The last attempt to blled it I forogot about eh radiator blled point and only bled at one of the points on the coolant pipes. Will have another go today.

Cheers,

Reply to
Andrew P