tipo heating

Hello everybody! In this Winter season, my Tipo is somehow unwilling to heat ;) The engine is 1.7 diesel and has made 177.700 km (approx. 110.400 miles), the car is 10 (almost 11) years old. There is coolant up to "min" mark on the expansion container. There is no special heater (Webasto or Eberspecher etc.) nor air-conditioner installed in this car.

And here is what is happening: The engine thermometer shows approx. 90 deg. C and if I am driving fast enough (more than 80 km/h - 50 mil/h) or if the main shaft is rotating fast enough (more than 3000 rotations per sec.) there is warm air coming inside (when the fan is turned on). If the car stops (red light or whatever), and the rotations fall to 2000 (approx.), then there is no more warm air, but rather cold (at best lukewarm). If I at that moment increse rotations up to approx. 3000 for about 30 sec. then I get some warm air for a while. What could be the reason(s) for such behaviour? Where to look first? Not enough coolant? The main thermo vavle - which opens the main radiator failure? Failure of the valve which opens the inside heating radiator?

Thanks for your opinions! Regards, Klemen

Reply to
Klemen Licen

You have air in the coolant - you need to bleed the cooling system. If it's similar to the petrol one, there is a bleed screw in the top corner of the radiator, plus one on one of the pipes. Fill the expansion tank to the "max" mark, leave the cap off, turn the heater control to full heat, run the engine and slowly undo the bleed screw on the pipe until coolant comes out. Tighten screw, then go to screw on radiator and do the same. Once done, refit filler cap and rev a few times, then switch heater control repeatedly from cold to hot to get rest of air bubbles out of the system. Repeat until no air left in.

Hellraiser.............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

You have air in the coolant - you need to bleed the cooling system. If it's similar to the petrol one, there is a bleed screw in the top corner of the radiator, plus one on one of the pipes. Fill the expansion tank to the "max" mark, leave the cap off, turn the heater control to full heat, run the engine and slowly undo the bleed screw on the pipe until coolant comes out. Tighten screw, then go to screw on radiator and do the same. Once done, refit filler cap and rev a few times, then switch heater control repeatedly from cold to hot to get rest of air bubbles out of the system. Repeat until no air left in.

Hellraiser.............>

Thank you! Good idea! I will have another look under the hood, but I think there is no a bleed screw to get the air out of the system. Hmmm, I'll try to find it in a repair manual or something ... hope there is a nice way to get the air out ;)

Thanks! Klemen

Reply to
Klemen Licen

when up to temp, try squeezing the hose to pump the water, and push out the air lock.

Reply to
momojo

Hello everybody! here's the conclusion: I poured in more than 2 litres of coolant. It think this fact speaks for itself ;) !!!note that there was coolant up to "min" mark, but obviously, there was air below the coolant!!! With a help of service and repair manual I finally found the bleed screw and hopefully got the air lock out. This morning there was warmer climate in my Tipo ;)

Thank you and all the very best! Klemen

Reply to
Klemen Licen

Glad to help - be warned, you may not have got all the air out so you may need to repeat the process in a day or two's time. Also it might be wise to find out where the 2 litres of coolant had disappeared to in the first place!

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

The question where the coolant disappeared came to me quite soon, but I said to myself, oh well, it's been about 6 six months when I had the last check ... But a few minutes ago, I found a better answer: there is a leak, it looks it is the pump (sh**), because it is all wet and drops are falling to the ground from that area. Well, cursing won't help, I'd better find a warm place, where I'll be able to do the necessary work.

Thanks again and all the very best! Klemen

Glad to help - be warned, you may not have got all the air out so you may need to repeat the process in a day or two's time. Also it might be wise to find out where the 2 litres of coolant had disappeared to in the first place!

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Klemen Licen

Best of luck