over heating

i have a 2000 vw passat 4 cly 1.8 eng . the other day a houseing for the temp water sensor broke replaced the housing but still got over heated replaced thermostat. and it still gets hot.help.

-- Message posted using

information at

062167david

Did you bleed all of the air out of the cooling system? Could it be the water pump impeller has broken = overheating = broken housing? Time for the timing belt if the pump is bad!

jmho

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

how do you bleed the air in the cooling system? is there a valve to release the air in motor?..

-- Message posted using

information at

062167david

are you talking about releaseing the heater hose back a little bit? if not where is the header tank cap?

-- Message posted using

information at

062167david

Open header tank cap and let the engine warm up.

SFC

"062167david" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
SFC

AKA the Overflow Tank. Does that help?

There is one other common problem with these vehicles - Older bottom (suction) hoses often collapse if there is even a small restriction in the radiator (or an air-lock) - which would cause overheating. Some such hoses come with wire springs inside to prevent this problem. So, check all your hoses and if any of them are soft or distorted, replace them.

You can also check for proper circulation by leaving the overflow tank cap off and watching for the coolant to move through it. START COLD (don't open when hot) unless you want a face-full of scalding water. But as the thermostat opens, you should see movement.

One thing about VWs, most all of them from their very first water- cooled beasts to the present day do require "Burping" if the coolant is drained or is lost. So dave is dead on-point with his advice.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Yes I had to bleed the air out of the heater core of a 1999 Passat 1.8t last week. I flushed the heater core and backflushed it also. There was no heat before, but after I filled it up and allowed the air to escape out of the heater hose bleed hole until coolant shot out.....there was heat!!! I had never seen a bleed hole on a hose before except on some Porsche 924s. But it worked. ;-)

Like Peter Wieck you have to get that air out of the bottle (I call it the coolant expansion tank) or whatever you call it. Burping the coolant system usually always has to be done. Removing the cap or removing the highest hose to allow the air to escape usually works for me. Also having patience as I squeeze the upper radiator hose to help the air escape.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1