1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM Brake Drum

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there are different size brake drums for the second gen T/A. I bought a set of rear brake shoes for my 79 Firebird T/A only to find that the parts sent were smaller than the old shoes. The drums on my car are about 11.5 inches in dia. The parts supplier told me that the drums on my car are not standard!!!! Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?

Reply to
celticbandit

Far as I can tell, all the brake drums on 2nd gen Trans Ams were 9.5" in diameter. 11.5" sounds like a conversion from a B-body or something. If I get a chance I'll see if my '78 Pontiac service manual lists some apps for 11.5" drums (obviously at the back at this point....I'm sure there were 11.5" front drums prior to disc brakes).

Reply to
Ed.Toronto