Z-28

My reverse lights won't light up when the car is in reverse.

I'm not sure where the backdrive is, I am told it is located on the steering column somewhere.There are 3 switches that I can see from under the steering column under the drivers side of the dash: one near the clutch, one over the brake, and one on the top of the steering column near the firewall.

They all have 2 plugs sticking out and wiring harnesses attached to these plugs. I'm not sure if the plugs that are plugged in are the right ones, because previous owner screwed around quite a bit under the dash. What color wires are supposed to be connected to each switch? I think this may be the problem, because when I hit the brake, the instrument cluster lights will turn on, along with the running lights in the front and back, as if I had switched them on by the headlight knob.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, Spring is here and I'm itchin to register this thing...

Reply to
80 Z-28 work

[[ FIRST: I'm assuming you are working on a 1980 Camaro--not very clearly presented.]] The 2 wires to the "back-up-light-switch" are dark blue and light green. This switch *should (*IIRC) be mounted on the steering column. The brake-light switch *should (*IIRC) be mounted on the brake linkage and the 2 wires should be orange and light blue. The neutral-safety switch *should (*IIRC) be mounted on the steering column and the wires should be purple and yellow--AND the purple wire, at least, should be a quite heavy wire, like approx.12-gauge. HTH & good luck. s (Compliments of mod/vintage.) ##Appendix: should you be working with a floor-shift, the N-Safety and the B-U-Lt switches may be on the floor-shifter in the console--but look for same colors.##
Reply to
sdlomi2