350 starter grinding

i have a 1975 350 in my 1987 camaro. my problem is when the battery if fully charged it starts great. But i havd to go buy a belt for it becouse mine is too big, so it drained the battery. when the battery does not have full power te starter grinds on the flywheel. i have had everyone stumped on this becouse they said it should not matter if its fully charged or not it should not grind. i have tried starter shims and it did not work. the only thing i could come up with is a bent flywheel, whitch that would suck becouse i just got the car together, and this is its first time being started. thanks alot for any help rich

Reply to
Rich None

If it is grinding only at low voltage, the bendix unit is notpushing out untill after the starter motor is spining. Meaning the gear is hitting the flywheel already spinning.

This could be the result of a soliniod that is defective, or overly stiff, a stiff, or bad bendix pin. Try another starter. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig