HELP!!!!!

I Have an 85 ford f-150 that I bought for 150.00, The engine runs but I am having problems getting the starter to engage the flywheel after I replaced the flywheel, transmission, starter, and many more parts. when I try to start the truck, the starter GRINDS the flywheel... I turn the motor over using a huge ratchet, and try to start it again and the motor turns about halfway and it starts to grind again. well, this really torked my bolts because I put the tranny in by myself with no jack. what do you think my dilemma might be???? could the wire to the starter be bad, not giving enough juice? solinoid? bad alignment? This is the whole reason I replaced the flywheel to begin with. The truck was running when I bought it. I need it for my line of work and funds are rather thin. what do I do???

Reply to
Zako

I have heard of some starters requiring shims to prevent the starter from binding on the fly wheel. I thought that was only a Chevy thing.

If you remove the spark plugs, do you have the same problem? I had an engine hydro-lock (water in the cylinder). Water does not compress. I thought it was the starter at first...found out the hard way I got a "doctored" engine.

Reply to
Gary Ober

There is no water in any of the cylinders, I was wondering if the crank shaft could be bent. Its almost like the flywheel is out of kilter. I can turn the motor onto one half of the flywheel and it will start out fine until it gets to the other half and the starter spins and grinds my brand new flywheel. also sometimes it seems like the starter is not getting enogh juice, but I have a brand new battery, fully charged. I am so frustrated!

Reply to
Zako via CarKB.com

Pull the spark plugs. Fasten a pencil near the ring gear so the point almost touches the gear. Turn the flywheel and see if the distance between the pencil and the gear changes as the flywheel turns.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

When you R&R'd the bellhousing did you make sure the dowel pins between the engine block and bellhousing remained in place? If you are not 100% sure that the engine and bellhousing are both original to the truck, did you check the runout of the bellhousing WRT the crankshaft with a dial indicator?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I had the same problem with one of the trucks i bought and all I needed to do to solve the problem was to install a ten gear bendix into the starter instead of the nine gear starter bendix you may have to go to a starter rebuild shop to find the bendix i will look around and see if I can find the part number for it as I may still have it somewhere around here.

Reply to
fordman

Thanks, I think that may be the problem, I used to rebuild starters and I was thinking about something along those lines. I hope you will keep in touch and let me know where to get a 10 tooth bendix gear. my old job wont let me order parts through them.

Reply to
Zako via CarKB.com