400 pontiac

Im buying a 68 firebird. It was originaly a 350 but now has a 400 in it. Whats the easiest way to tell if it is actually a 400 and how do I tell if its a genuine pontiac engine and not a chev. Thanks Wayne.

Reply to
wayne

Easy to tell a Pontiac engine from chevy. The pontiac engine (350&400) will have an air gap under the intake manifold. It's a little harder to tell if it's 400 or 350. I don't know about '68 but in 1970 only 350s were 2bbls. Next engine up was a 400 4bbl. Of course the '70 I owned with a 350 got a manifold change from a 400. Picked up about 20 HP and 2 miles per gallon highway going to the Q-jet from that POS 2bbl rochester. So you could find a 350 with a 4bbl.... AW.

Reply to
Andy Warren

There's a two letter stamp ont he pad at the front of the engine. Something like YF. Get that and then look it up. That's the only way to tell since they are the same basic block.

Reply to
JimV

Mine has "400" cast into the block lefthand side just in front of the engine mount.

Reply to
David Toft