'93 TA Electrical problems

I've been having electrical issues with my '93 TA for about the last 5 years. I've replaced the battery about 4 times, the starter, and the cables from the battery to the starter.

I do not drive this car very often, about 500 miles a year. When I let the car sit, sometimes the battery is drained in one day. Other times it will take a week. Once I charge the battery, the car runs fine.

If I charge the battery higher than the slow 2amp charge, the meter drastically goes back and forth from fully charged to dead. When I say drastically I mean about 2 times a second.

Recently problems have been getting worse. Now when I turn on the A/C, the electric door locks continually lock and unlock. Now my keyless entry remote no longer works.

Any idea's or suggestions on what to look for or where to start? I've checked the few grounds that I could find and they seem fine.

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Scoff

You need to find out where the drains are occuring. My '95Z28 had a similar drain problem where it would just last a week between runs even with a new battery.That lasted just over 18 months and it turned out to be the Alternator going freaky, it would happily supply the current load but only around 200mA above that.

Get hold of clamp meter to check the cables, incl the cables from the Red Connectcor.I also checked all the fuses to find the drains.

Checked drain on battery @ fusable links single - 0.0 double - 0.0 double - 8.3 double - 86.6 mA

Checked all fuses for drain Ign Off Ign ON in milliAmps

17 Radio 0.03 1.16 16 Crank 0.00 0.00 15 Windows 0.00 1.07 14 Wiper/Wash 0.01 1.13 13 IPDimmer 0.00 0.40 variable with position 12 Defog / Seats 0.00 lots 11 Horn / Cig 77.3 77.4 *** REMOVED FOR NOW 10 Tail 0.00 0.00 9 Gauges 0.00 0.00 8 Courtesy/Radio Lights 2.60 lots 7 Power Accy 0.00 0.00 6 Stop / Hazzard 0.00 0.00 5 PCM Ign 0.00 5000.00 Fuel Pump drops to 200mA 4 Radio Accy 0.00 0.00 3 HVAC 0.00 5000.00 2 Turns / Backup 0.00 0.00 1 AirBag 0.00 200.00 Fuse 11 drives the internal lights & presumably ALARM fitted by Prev Owner

The two double connections now drain about 8mA & 12mA which is good.

Car runs now with Alternator putting 9 - 10 Amps back into the system...

Checked TV & audio cables- TV was draining 70mA so i removed inline fuse FUSE 11 now drains only 6mA so car should be ok for battery drain

HTH

Reply to
Terminal Crazy