another question for ya all

Huh? Whacu talkin' bout Willis? 366 (truck), 396, 402, 427, 454, and

502. Which big block were you talking about?

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

thats just what I have been told I'll start from the beginng

I bought a 1987 firebird was supposed to have a 305 in it but when i went to replace the motor cause of a rod knock I find out it is not a 305 but a

350 so i got a new 350 motor to put >
Reply to
Terry

Whoa whoa whoa, let's take a second here.

4 bolts per valve cover = small block. (centerbolt or perimeter, regardless)

More than that, most likely big block Chevy motor.

If it's a big block then the small block stuff WILL NOT fit.

At that point you'll just have to buy big block parts outright. Aside from distributors I can't think of anything that interchanges between big and small block Chevy. There are a couple small pieces that do, but nothing important.

See what you really have, then check back with us.

-Matt- "..."

Reply to
matt borland

bigger? or wider then the other 350 that was in it . That and the flywheel didn't not match up to new motor

Reply to
Terry

There are a couple of other things you need to find out to identify this engine, and we'll need to know a little about the old engine too.

One piece or two piece rear main seal? Dipstick on driver's or passenger side? 153 or 168 tooth flywheel?

It sounds like at least the heads if not the whole engine in both cases are 85-earlier models. If not, then you have a parts interchange problem due to a couple of running changes in small block Chevy over the years. You might have an '87-up block in one case and a pre-'80 block in the other, or some other mismatch that just requires some extra thought to make work.

There are a couple different bolt patterns on flexplates and a couple different pans. It shouldn't be this hard to figure out, but parts stores aren't what they used to be, so you end up with the added confusion of guys talking out their @ss when they don't really know the answer to your tech questions.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Good luck.

-Matt- "..."

Reply to
matt borland

There is no way you can confuse a Big Block with a 350 Small Block. Especially with the cylinder heads on the engine!

If you do indead have a BBC, the valve lay-out it's self will look compleatly different from that of the SBC. SBC rocker arms are all in a line, both intake and exhaust. BBC are splaid, intake at one angle, exhaust at another, so the rocker arms sit staggared.

Not all Small Blocks take the same oil pan. One peice rear seal blocks take a different pan then two peice rear seal block. Drivers side VS Passenger side dipstick makes a huge differance as well. Some aftermaket SBC blocks have a expanded skirt area and take either BBC, Olds, or Aftermarket ONLY oil pans.

Post the casting numbers off both engines. Ill see if I can identify both for you.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

As Charles said, find and post the casting numbers if you can find them, from the heads and blocks. Many here have decoding books that at least can tell you what the parts were for at the beginning of their life.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

Plus, the xfer case and ft diff is, IMO, added weight for a vehicle that's probably going to be trailer-only. You (in general) might get a little better timing out of a rwd only S10/15/Blazer... :)

NOI

Reply to
thund3rstruck_n0i

Why would I waste the cash to build a S-10 trailer queen? Unless it's a *Race* only vehical (such as a sprint car) Ill drive the sucker on the streets.

Just because some people are too pussy to drive a 9 second ride on the street doesn't mean everyone is. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles Bendig spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Wow. Really wadded your undies, eh? :)

The original poster, iirc, said he wanted to trailer it...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

No I mentioned in a post about a Vehical a shop owner I know built. His customer that owns it trailers it. Why? Because of ground clearance & appeariance items the truck is not legal, not safe to drive on the road. Built as a show car, Something I will not have.

I beleave cars are ment to be driven, not trailer queens that only see a few miles a year at outdoor car shows. I beleave if it's close enough to street legal, and safe to drive, Do it.

Im not saying drive your 900 HP car in the rain, or everyday. But just cause you run 12's in the quartmile is no reason to make a car a trailer queen.

I have a Off Road truck that I trailer to and from the trails. Why? because I aint scared to break it, roll it, or smash it. Yet when im not going out trail driving with it, I drive it on the streets. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles Bendig spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

When my dad used to do some SCCA racing, he used to prep his car at home and trailer it the 3 hours or more to the track. He did that because it saved time there, and he always was worried about having to tow it that distance home.

Then one day he exploded a piston. :)

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

Crap, at least Charles had the sense to say it. Problems with remote mounted turbos do not out weight the benefits of underhood mounting, remote mounting may even mitigate some benefits of adding the turbo in the first place. Lag would be retarded even with a blow off valve. And what about oiling, return specifically. Pressure feed, gravity return?

Sounds like an ass idea to me. I've got a "tornado" carb spacer you can stick on it too, says it's good for +50 hp....... so it must be....right?

Reply to
Demon