Question on Gears

Just a simple question Which car will accellerate faster from 50mph to 120 mph. a Z28 automatic with 3.23 gears or one with 3.73 gears. All other factors being equal hps /trannys etc. Im interested to know Mike

Long Island

Reply to
Michael

All other things equal?

3.73 of course. But I'm not so sure I'd go that tall if I were you. I CERTAINLY wouldn't go any taller 'n that with a 350 A4. (I definitely wouldn't go that high with a 305.)

GLK9MM

FYI

when referring to gear ratios, the larger the number the lower/shorter the gear. smaller the number, the hgher/taller the gear. a 3.23 gear is higher/taller than a 3.73

Reply to
Dennis .

Yeah yeah Dennis. (smaller gear....less teeth....bigger gear.....more teeth....etc. etc. etc.) And once again, I'm forced to clarify...thanks chief. =P

I wasn't talking about the gears themselves. I was talking about the ratio being to tall for the TC.

=P

When referring to gear ratios it also depends on the TYPE of gears you're talking about.

Anyhoo, I know how you love to correct my ambiguities, but I have to take issue with your statement now. When referring to ratios, most people are talking about the _difference_ between the larger and smaller gear(s) in the gear chain. (G1/G2 and all that.) I guess the way I worded it would be easy enough to misinterpret.

GLK9MM

Bah.....and here I thought you were Dennis Smith correcting me and that's the only reason I tossed any respect your way. BAH! I should have checked the headers before sending my reply.

You're some webTV noob.

Next time you want to correct me chief, make sure YOU got it right. I don't time to be a dick right now....you've wasted enough of my time.

GLK9MM

There is one thing that you might want to check. By going with a shorter gear, like the 3.73, you will be at a higher rpm when you are doing 120mph. I assume you are running a 700R4 automatic, which will not shift into OD under full throttle. So just take 3.73 and divide it by your current ratio and multiply it by the rpm you are at now, at 120mph. This will give you the rpm that you will be at, with the new ratio, at 120mph. If its higher than your engine can rev to, then a 3.73 is to short for you. Go with something taller.

-Zuhalter

Reply to
Zuhalter

I think they fixed that in 1987.

Reply to
Big Dav160

I drive a 1992 Firebird 305TBI with an 4L60E (which is the TH700R4) and it will not shift into OD under full throttle. You must let off to about 3/4 throttle.

Reply to
Zuhalter